panel light dimmer resistence for 94 Altima

Anyone know what the resistance of the dimmer pot should be? How many watts? I need to replace it or maybe just put in a fixed resistor at about half brightness setting

Thanks

Reply to
metoo

Dont do fixed resistor, too bright distractions will cause a mortal accident, death.

So measure your old POT, with multimeter.

Reply to
Mark Levitski

It's not a pot, it's a rheostat. If you plan to replace it with a resister, it will need to be a high wattage wirewound one. Could get really hot and start a fire. Better off to just replace the dimmer.

Reply to
JimV

OK thanks I think I will get a new dimmer. I can reach under the dash and pull the 2 wires going to the dimmer and make it work for a while so I thought I could just cut them 2 and connect them together or put in a dropping or current limiting resister. Why would I think along these lines? Because it seems to be hard to get the dimmer switch out, but I bet I'm wrong there too. Anyone tell me how to make it easy ? TIA

Reply to
metoo