Pathfinder 1995 SE Rear Door

When it gets cold (below 32 degrees F), the rear door on the Pathy will not stay in the up/open position. As the temperature gets lower, the door closes faster.

There are two hydraulic arms at either side of the door that likely have worn/old gaskets. Is there any oil or fluid I can put on the hydraulic arms that will recondition the gaskets, or am I doomed to buying new replacements??

TIA for tips, suggestions, comments,

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

Have to replace them...sorry..

Reply to
Mark Iezzi

Time for new door struts. They are gas charged and some of the gas has leaked out causing them to sag in cold weather. Some people just keep a pair of vice grips back there (clamp them to the rod when open) as they can also be used for other repairs in a pinch.

Reply to
Steve

in article BBFF7499.7BF6%manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net, Manjo at manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net wrote on 12/12/03 1:35 PM:

Steve/Mark,

Sort of what I thought regarding "reconditioning" the struts. Any idea how much new Nissan struts cost, or if there are aftermarket struts available?

Hmmmmm?! Vice Grips! Where would we be without vice grips and duct tape?!! :>))))

Thanks for the info,

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

Unfortunatly they are proud of them.

Yep some work good, some are useless junk. We found some aftermarket ones that work great for early 300ZX's hoods but the same brand ones "designed" for the hatch won't hold them up! I'd make sure they will take them back if they won't hold up the rear door if you try the aftermarket route.

Reply to
Steve

My experience is that even the ones that DO work won't last as long as the originals did. Given the price difference (an order of magnitude, if I remember right) it's still a better buy to get the aftermarket ones, unless you live in a very cold climate -- which will show the wear much sooner.

Reply to
Larry Kessler

in article BBFF7499.7BF6%manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net, Manjo at manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net wrote on 12/12/03 1:35 PM:

Larry/Steve,

Thanks for the tips and info.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

NAPA sells new ones for about $20 each. Just take an old one in to the store so you can match them up.

Reply to
ppointer

in article w60Db.12620$l% snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com, snipped-for-privacy@nospamindspring.com at snipped-for-privacy@nospamindspring.com wrote on

12/14/03 11:21 AM:

ppointer,

Thanks for the tip. I've found a web site

that sells Nissan tailgate struts. Ineed to decypher the VIN number to confirm the Pathy's chassis code tomatch up with the listed struts. The web site indicates that I have a VG30Eengine and WD21 chassis manual trans for the 1995 Pathy SE. The struts run$33 dollars each. They're made by Stabilus company. I believe these may beOEM struts. If so, I'll probably get them. The stock struts have lasted 8years. These should last the useful "life" of the Pathy that has 145,000miles so far.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

in article BC044C17.820C%manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net, Manjo at manjo snipped-for-privacy@gis.net wrote on 12/16/03 5:43 AM:

TO Myself UPDATE:

When I finally go the engine and chassis numbers correct on my 1995 Pathy SE (VG30E, WD21), The lowest price online for tailgate/hatch struts (Stabilus) is $36.95 EACH plus shipping and handling. List price is over $120.00 each.

JC Whitney has a tailgate strut for $25.00 each plus S&H.

Thanks to everyone for their tips, suggstions, comments.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo