Pathfinder Brakes

The brakes on my 95 P'Finder are kind of spongy. Rebled the system, completely replace the fluid and no change. Went through the diagnostics in the Nissan shop manual. Everything is working right. Just real soft. Anyone with similar experience and possibly a fix?

Taco

Reply to
Taco

Shawn

You mean trapped air or bad seal? Taco

Reply to
Taco

I think he/she meant replace it due to age and possible internal corrosion due to not flushing your brake fluid every now and then. One thing that came to my mind for `weak' braking was non-genuine Nissan premium pads (or contaminated pads - gunk from the road, something leaked onto them, etc.) or shoes and also don't forget about replacing your front rubber brake hoses. Always a good thing to do after 9 years anyway as the rubber deteriorates and `gives', hence a possible spongy condition.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Can pads make the breaks feel spongy? Installed the pads about 8 months ago. They were not Nissan and probably the ones before weren't either. The new set of pads did not seem to make a difference. Good advice about the brake hoses. They weren't leaking but maybe they got soft. Brakes still stop pretty good. I also drive a Miata and the transition from rock hard to squishy is a little disconcerting.

Taco

Reply to
Taco

Reply to
john smith

They could if they are contaminated, but I'd still replace the hoses.

Reply to
Truck

Same thing happened to my 92. The answer for me was more obvious- my master cylinder had a very slow leak (fluid found on the the booster and of course the resevior dropped over time). Anyway, put a new master cylinder in and the brakes feel good again.

MM

Reply to
MM