Pathfinder manifold bolt design problem: was it ever fixed?

I had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts on my '94 pathfinder at around

100,000 miles (both sides). No suprise there as I quickly found on the internet this is a common problem. (disappointingly, the dealer wouldn't acknowledge it though)

I'm considering getting a second Pathfinder or maybe an Xterra (keeping the '94 PF) and am wondering if the design issue was ever fixed, and if so starting in what year. (so I could get one made in model year without the problem.) Also, do/did the Xterra have the same problem?

Finally, am I likely going to have to replace the bolts again at 200,000 mi, or are the dealers replacing the bolts with better ones that wont break?

Not really compaining here, the 94 has been a great car - haven't had any other problems other than the manifold bolts (currently at 120,000 miles). Thanks!

Reply to
jdr01930

John Smith

Was fixed by '96.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
John Smith

As long as you did the repair properly and had BOTH manifolds milled/planned/etc. and you replaced ALL the studs with the new part number studs, not just the broken ones, then no, you won't be redoing the job.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

They are using better studs..

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
tangwong

Thanks for the info everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards waiting for the 2005 Xterra for several reasons. Only thing I'm a little nervous about would buying a so completely revamped car in its first year... Well, gotta wait till Feb to check 'em out anyway.

Incidently, I dug up the paperwork from the repair - the dealer replaced all the studs with the new part #'s, but I see nothing on the shop slip to indicate milling/planing was done that Wil mentions...

Will find out in a couple of years I guess - at least I know to insist on it if (god forbid) it happens again.

Thanks again - John

Reply to
jdr01930

Reply to