Pathfinder Oil pressure

95 Pathfinder oil pressure light is starting to flicker at idle after pulling up a long hills (like thousand foot elevation). This engine temp shows a slight increase. Never a problem otherwise. Car has 110,000 miles. There may be a very slight tap in the head (back cyl pass. side). Running recommended 5/30. The car has an aftermarket VDO pressure gage and sender. Any ideas?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Matava

What does the gauge read?

Reply to
Steve T

If your pressure drops below 30 PSI at an idle maybe it's time to figure out why.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Probably some worn bearings. Smokey Yunick always said that 10psi per

1000 rpms was sufficient. Try using some 10W30 oil instead of 5/30.
Reply to
Rob Munach

Or using 10w/40. Your older engine may need a little bit of froth (sp) to keep her going.

Reply to
clevere

Older in mileage, not actual age.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
John Matava

Personally I think those single cammers do a lot better with 20-50, especially in warmer climates like atlanta has. Sounds like the bearings are showing their age but this normally isn't a problem with those engines. The oil/engine may be overheating and thinning out, especially using that

5/30W oil. The radiator may be marginal and letting things get warmer than they should when climbing as you said. My guess would be the factory gauge comes on at an ever lower pressure but IMHO 10PSI at idle with a hot engine and thin oil isn't something to get all upset over. If you're seeing OK pressure under way, that's what matters. I'd throw some thicker oil in and see what happens, maybe think about working on the cooling system. At 10 years of age the radiator could be ready for replacement? If you want to keep using 5-30 maybe something like mobil 1 instead of dino oil?
Reply to
Steve T

Put a new radiator in it last summer. It had some junk in it and the temp gage was starting to show some movement on long inclines. The temp shows almost no movement even on a long pull (6 mile, 2000 ft gain). Does the mobile 1 5-30 hold its viscosity better at temp? I will probably go to the

10-40. Pressure under way is where it always has been.

John

Reply to
John Matava

You mentioned elevated engine temps in your first post, hence my coments about that subject.

Yes it does, I'd try their 5-40W "truck" oil and see how it works for ya.

Steve T