Pathfinder running on 2 cylinders

I have a 2003 Pathfinder SE that is about 8 months old (12k miles). Recently I took it into the dealership to have a few lifters replaced because of some noise. The very next day after getting the truck back (2 weeks in the shop), the engine light came on and a very noticable power decrease. In fact, I can not drive up modest hills. What's strange is this only happens after 5 minutes of driving and it does not matter what speeds. I may be wrong, but my bet is on the computer. Does anyone have any oppinions? My PF is still in the shop as of today, I'm in a little rental car now (at least it has good MPG).

Thanks for any advice on this.

Reply to
hulkhunter

Bad coil most likely.

Reply to
Jim

I highly highly doubt its only running on two cylenders... it wouldnt run

if it has coil over igniti>

Reply to
Mercury

Thanks for the replies above. Going on 72 hours at the dealership and still no answer about this problem. I'm going to ask them about the coils today. Still if the coils had problems, wouldn't it show up from the start, I mean this problem only occurs 5 minutes after running. If I shut off the PF and restart, I get another 5 minutes of normal driving before power loss.

In addition, before all this started, when the engine light came on, there was a strong gas smell, the dealership found that the timing was off hence the engine light. They fixed that, but power loss was still there. By the way, I did learn that they disconnected the battery when they were fixing the lifters. This caused something I think, because for a brief time I had the PF back, the sunroof acted strangely for about 1 minute (to close the roof, you had to tap on the button). Just think, I got rid of my last SUV because I was sick of going to the shop.

Reply to
hulkhunter

If you find out anything about the sun roof, please let us know. My sunroof did that from the day I got it. Dealer replaced the mechanism under warantee, it worked for about a month, then started doing the same thing.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

To answer your question about the sunroof. I once had an Infiniti that had the same problem, the dealer replaced the switch and everything was fine. As for my PF, well it was working the last time I checked (after the only incident) which was about 9 days ago. By the way guys, they still have my PF with no answer to the problem. They are now looking to replace something with the oil compression. It's guess work from here, or trial by error. They are hoping this fixes the problem, but the part will not arrive until Friday, this makes the car at the shop for about 4 weeks now. It's getting tiresome and I'm not sure what my options are now.

Reply to
hulkhunter

"oil compression"???? That does not compute.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Okay, I just got my PF back yesterday (4-22-04), apparently they got the part early and tested everything. So far it runs okay. What they did was the following:

Replacement of VTC Sensor Replacement of Sprocket Camshaft

I'm not sure what these parts do yet, but I'm going to look them up. The sunroof still works okay as of yesterday.

This all started from replacing the lifters (on 3-29-04) so I hope everything was put back okay. It always make me a little nervous when someone is taking apart things. The whole experience cost me one small scratch near the hood, luckily my SUV is silver so it's hard to see, probably can be buffed out. The big test will be this weekend to see if the SUV holds up.

Reply to
hulkhunter

Well, everything is still driving okay. By the way guys, one thing that I've noticed since I brought the SUV new, if on a incline (35 degrees), the suv would roll back even engage in drive. On my old SUV (Grand Cherokee), it would not roll back, is this normal?

Reply to
hulkhunter

My 99.5 PF rolled backwards. I assume this is normal since it idled at 600 rpm

Reply to
Meat-->Plow