popping sound from front end

I've got an 86.5 Nissan Truck 4x2 thats making a very annoying popping sound from the front left suspension. It happens when:

- switching directions (forward to reverse and vice versa) when using the brakes (more so with the wheels turned)

- releasing the brakes after coming to a stop (and then accelerating)

- easing up on the brakes after braking hard

- taking sharp turns in a parking lot

The front end also feels a little "loose" when driving over speed bumps or entering driveways at an angle. I've noticed a little play in the wheels when grabbing the top of the tire and I push/pull on it, but I'm told that its within spec. I don't seem to get an axial play though.

I've had the upper control arm bushing replace, the tension rod bushings replaced, and also new shocks.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? I torqued all the front suspension to spec about a year ago. Could loose wheel bearings or ball joints cause this? I don't seem to get any other kind of noise.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Bitter Dave

Could be lots of things...

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like posible worn ball joints but over the net, it could be anything. Without looking at it, we're just guessing. You need to either read up on how to corectly check the front end or find someone you trust to do it for you. Pushing the tire in and out isn't how you check the front end parts for wear.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
john smith

I think it's a loose sway bar in the front. I've had it happen and it's exactly as you described.

Reply to
Childfree Scott