Possible consequences..

Hey guys...

What can be the possible consequences of driving a cold car? I mean, not letting it warm in cold weather an start driving as soon as u start it!! (Normally I dont do it, but just want to know for knowledge).

Praveen

Reply to
Praveen

Actually it's better to drive a car gently to warm it up than to just let it sit running as it warms up faster, less wear. In other words there is nothing wrong with driving a cold car, just don't run it hard till it's warmed up completely i.e the oil has had time to get up to temp.

Reply to
Steve

Stiff nipples?? You aren't supposed to let it sit and idle to get warm anyway.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

You also want the block/head to get up to temp, particularly with iron blocks and aluminum heads. Everything has to expand into place. The oil itself is probably hot very quickly.

Reply to
Bob

I have recently purchased, used 93 Quest. I'm guessing what I have is a problem, but perhaps they made it this way...anyway... The van has the lower front bumper turn signals and they work fine, then it has what I call the "running lights" that wrap around from side to front, just beside the headlight.

Should those lights blink when turning as well? The rear signal lights blink, the ones that are low on the front bumper blink but it seems like these "pseudo" headlights that are beside the headlight, should blink too. Instead when you don't have your turn signal on (but headlights on) they emit a light, then when you turn on your signal, they emit a much brighter light...but it doesn't flash. So cars to the side of you cannot see your front turn signals. This is with both sides.

is this normal or do I have something out in the van...the fuses all look good. Someone said maybe a relay? If so, is that easy to fix?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Comcast Newsgroups

Actually the oil takes quite a while to heat up. The water/engine temp is up a long time before the engine oil is up to even the same temp as the water. I guess you've never owned a car with an oil temp gauge?

Reply to
Steve

It sounds like you're describing cornering lights. The lights get bright on the sides so that the driver can see to the side when making tight turns into driveways, etc. These lights aren't meant to flash. You could ask a dealer, but I'll bet it's fine.

Reply to
nfisherman

You hit the nail on the head. The '93 Quest has corning lights. They are intended to help you turn. If they really bother you, you might look into just pulling the bulbs. They are not required by law. Most of us find them useful.

Reply to
Bob

Nope. That's why I said "probably" :-) I have no science to back it up. I can imagine that the water would get hot faster, since it is being circulated around the hottest areas of the engine with the direct intention of drawing heat. The oil has a different job and spends much of it's time in not so hot areas on a cool engine. So, I accept your suggestion on the rate of temperature rise.

Now, back to the original question: As long as the oil is flowing, does it matter if it's hot in terms of "pushing" your engine ? Common sense would say that as long as it's warm enough to flow that cool oil is actually better for your engine.

Reply to
Bob

Warm oil lubricates better than cold oil does. Most endurance race cars have a heater for the oil tank and they -never- run an engine hard until the oil is up to temp.

Reply to
Steve

Sounds reasonable.

Reply to