Power Steering Problem...

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE, and I am fairly certain the power steering is leaking or at the very least I have some bent axels or something. Turning the car is virtually impossible, and when you turn the wheel it makes a God awful sound.

I would have caught this sooner but it's my wife's car.. She says it's been going on for a few months and gotten worse (she thought it was just the cold weather)... Anyway if I take this to a dealer to fix, what kind of damage should I expect price wise. The car only has 68,000 miles on it.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Shhhh

Reply to
Shhhh

Sounds like you have virtually no power assist at all... and the pump is whining from the system fluid level being extremely low. You need to fill the system first. Did the power assist start working? Are you also looking for some leaks?... wouldn't be a bad idea. Hint - In a normal system... the power steering system pressure is much higher when turning the wheel. Have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth after you get it filled. Then look for leaks. Hoses and fittings are much more likely to show drips during this high-pressure mode. Hope that helps.

Telstar Electronics

What kind of noise?

Gr> Hello all,

Reply to