Power Steering problem on 1997 Primera SLX

I wonder if any expert out there can help with a problem my dad is having with his Primera, in particular, the power assisted steering...

First of all, most of the time the steering is completely normal. This is particularly so when the car has been standing for some time, such as first thing in the morning. After a while - maybe five miles or so...

The steering get noticeably stiffer. When the car is stationary the steering becomes very stiff (e.g. when manoevering in a car park). When driving along, it becomes more difficult to correct slight wandering tendency (dad says that it feels as if steering/track rod ends have some free play).

He's taken it back to the garage that sold it to him but they say everything is fine. Work at another garage has included a replacement power pump, steering oil replaced, all tyres renewed and the steering joints have been checked and given the all clear.

As this one problem is denting my dad's enjoyment of this otherwise perfect car, any suggestions you may have would be most welcome and much appreciated.

38K on the clock BTW.

Regards - Martin

Reply to
martin.peters

The stiff steering is a new one on me, definitely not a common Primera problem. Steering pump belt slipping perhaps? The wandering can just be your wheel alignment, I do my own alignment, have tried altering it within the spec range and at least on mine it doesn't like zero toe-in (in spec) at all, it definitely needs about 1/2 the max toe-in spec to get stable steering especially in a straight line, then it's excellent.

Reply to
Steve B