Primera starter problem (UK)

All,

Maybe one of you has been here before and can offer wonderful advice. My L reg Primera has had this starter problem since I bought it 3 years ago with 48K miles. It now has 85K miles and the problem is getting worse.

When I turn the ignition key, the starter whizzes around without engaging the flywheel. It used to engage at the 1st, 2nd or (at worst) 3rd attempt. Now it has degraded to needing sometimes 5 or 6 attempts before the starter engages the flywheel. I believe the problem is worse in cold weather.

I'm pretty sure it is a starter problem, rather than missing / broken teeth on the flywheel as I can put it into 5th gear, push it forwards a few yards and try again with no guarantee of success.

The Haynes manual suggests removing the exhaust manifold and front pipe for best access to the starter. Is this really necessary ?

Any (sensible) suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Sorry, I can't remember where I saw it very recently, but someone else had this problem with a Primera and the cause was gunge/muck clogging up the starter clutch mechanism. My Haynes manual is very unclear on the subject with no decent pictures or info.

Reply to
Steve B

In message , Steve B writes

If it's an inertia (Bendix) type starter, make sure the gear on it is clean and dry, if it's a pre-engaged type, it sounds as if the contacts to the starter are closing before the solenoid has time to pull the gear to the starter ring, and needs adjustment.

Reply to
Clive