Primera Transmission Query

Here's an issue which I've never had resolved, but has never really caused a problem, just an irritation. Its on a 94 Nissan Primera, 2.0 Automatic, and in normla Drive, it's OK.

But if I manually step through the gears, ie, from 1 to 2, to D, to OD, then the engine momentarily speeds up as going between gears.

I wondered if this might be in relation to this problem being observed:

If I remain in 1, or 2, or even D, and just accelerate, at about 3,000 revs, the car splutters, or the engine dies momentarily. Perhaps a bad description, maybe its more like the gearbox is wanting to change gear but unable to.

At this point the revs drop off about 50 or 100 rpm, hunts very fractionallly with a bit of hesitation then carries on accelerating past the mark.

It's an odd thing. But no one has ever given an answer.

Plus I must also say, these Jatco gearboxes are bullet proof. I thrash my car to bits, 120,000 miles+ on the clock and still going strong! Engine is a bit caked in oil, and there's a bizarre rattling/ticking kind of noise under load (under acceleration) though there's no exhaust leaks... the camshaft/rockers apparently are worn and need to be replaced, but if I cruise all day on the motorway at about 80 mph, I can get at least 400 miles out of 50 litres of fuel (it's just town driving with acceleration that throws everything out), oh, and checking the timing, the pulley seems to jump all over the place.

Most of these have been catalogued over the past couple of years, but I've never had a resolution, and so I've ignored them and forgot most of the values. But if anyone has any answers, please let me know...

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean