[Q] Car servicing timeframes

Which is the important timeframe for regular car service?

When they do a service they always put a sticker on the windscreen saying the next service is due in six months or at X,000km. Problem is that I do very little mileage at the moment, so I've already cut it back to just an annual service which is still way under the mileage amount.

There's no point wasting money on unnecessary servicing (especially with ever growing prices and continually shrinking bank interest!). Should I not bother with a service until the car actually reaches the stated mileage, and just ignore the date?

(My car does also have to have a brief roadworthiness check every six months, so that would pick up any major problems I haven't already seen.)

Reply to
Mickey MacMouse

Low trip distance or all slow (stop and go City) Driving is hard on Oil Towing is hard on many parts as well

Where and how the car is stored affect the aging process. of fluids, seals and parts. Treat that sticker as a reminder. Use the history of use as a Guide

Dirty oil is dirty Oil, change it (and the filter) when it gets real dark ahead of schedule

Reply to
Steve Urbach

No towing and it lives in a garage (only driven about two/three times a week for trips to the shops or taking the dog somewhere to walk), but that's more or less what I was thinking. Thanks. Looks like I'm stuck paying for servicing even though it takes a few years to actually reach the scheduled mileage count. :o(

Reply to
Mickey MacMouse