Quest alarm/locks "controller"

I lost the remote key fob to my 99 Quest. The car was "armed" when I lost it. I bought a new one, took it to the dealership to have it programmed (couldn't get it to work myself). The service guy at the dealership also couldn't get it to program, said I needed a new "controller". For now, as a work-around, I've pulled the fuse that controls the locks, windows and alarm system, however this fuse also controls the interior lights - dash, ceiling, door... Hard to see how fast you're going at night with no dash lights. The car starts, though (bonus).

So.. what's a "controller" (other than "a couple-a hundred bucks"), and where is it? I'd like to try getting one from a salvage yard but need to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks much! Virginia

Reply to
virginia.cassel