Question on synthetic oil

Okay so I have already switched over to synthetic for the engine.

What are the general opinions on changing the ATF and final drive to synthetic on a daily driver in SoCal ?

Thanks.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

In news:fA5_b.47681$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net, iBuyMinis.Us being of bellicose mind posted:

Since you cannot drain the total contents, you must do the job (as if it were a big deal) more often. 15k miles is probably half the recommended book interval but ... trans oil is cheap.

Reply to
Philip®

Wouldn't you think that Nissan would know what the fluid should be ? follow the manual. I mean people need to RTFM once in a while.

iBuyM> Okay so I have already switched over to synthetic for the engine. >

Reply to
DW

The original author must be a genius - even if I do (did) say so myself.

I know the viscosity the manual recommended and I intend to obey that viscosity. However, most learned folks knows that synthetic oils offer better protection. So my question could not have been answered in the manual.

Thanks.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

I agree, people don't change the trans oil enough. Most I drain looks

-nasty-. I'd be doing it every 15K especially automatics.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
ô¿ô

I don't agree that synthetics are damaging in the long run. The real myth here is that synthetics are 'thinner' than dino oils. In reality, synthetics are categorized by viscosity just as dino oils are. 5w30 is just as 'thick' or 'thin' as 5w30 synthetic. One of the reasons synthetics are incorrectly labeled as thinner is that when used on older motors where dino oils have been used solely, they clean out the sludge and expose dry gaskets that had been sealed by that sludge and begin to seep oil. A new motor will not seep any sooner with synthetic, than with dino oils.

Fact is, most of the "synthetics" > better protection.

Reply to
ô¿ô

BS.

Reply to
Bob

In news:5Ke_b.419$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com, ô¿ô being of bellicose mind posted:

IF you use a transmission flush machine, then yes ... 30k miles is sufficient. BUT... such is not the case if all you do is pull the drain plug on the pan. This only gets 3 quarts out of 7 typically. In this case, 15k mile intervals.

Reply to
Philip®

Are many things you don't understand regarded as "rediculous", Mr. Rennick?

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bright.net, David Rennick being of bellicose mind posted:

Do expand on this opinion of yours. I'm reserving judgement until after your explanation or the URL link to the source of your statement.

Reply to
Philip®

-nasty-. I'd be doing it every 15K especially automatics.

Reply to
David Rennick

The original author must be a genius - even if I do (did) say so myself.

Reply to
David Rennick

Philip:

I'd be interested in seeing _any_ authoritative opinion wherein you are supposed to change tranny fluid every 15K miles.

Reply to
Bob

What does that have to do with the question? Synthetic oil is better in all aspects than conventional oil is and that is a fact no matter what Nissan or any other manufacturer recomends.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What? What exactly is the "synthetic myth"?? Are you actually implying that synthetic oils will damage what they are used in? Synthetic oils offer better protection with thinner weight.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Bob being of bellicose mind posted:

I sense you're looking for gospel to follow. Driving conditions have a substantial effect on ATF service intervals ... just like engine oil service intervals. Would you expect a Los Angeles commuter who spends an hour each way at speeds between stopped and 35 mph (lots of shifts per mile) to experience the same ATF deterioration as one who cruises along in OD/lockup at 65 for the same distance?

I spent 5 years in a transmission shop rebuilding rebuilding lots of motorhome automatic transmissions. You?

Reply to
Philip®

Nope, I think they'd qualify for the severe service change. Last I checked that was 30K on ATF, although I have to admit that I haven't checked all vehicles and I haven't checked that specific issue recently.

Reply to
Bob

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Bob being of bellicose mind posted:

Ahhh! Please find me a passage in your service book that distinuishes "severe" from "normal" (let alone define either term) where automatic transmission service intervals are concerned. You WON'T find such a distinction so you cannot assume the 30k mile interval is for "severe." There is such distinguishment and definition where engine oil service intervals are concerned. Peculiar absence of information ..... again .... wouldn't you say? ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

True. Fact is that even Mobil 1 is a blend. Mobil sued Castrol for advertising their Syntech blend oil as a fully synthetic oil. Mobil lost the lawsuit. Does it make sense for Mobil to keep producing fully synthetic oil and selling it in competition with Castrol's 'fully synthetic" oil? No .

Reply to
Mosby