radiator fan 1984 Stanza

I rarely drive my Stanza more than 4 miles and don't use the AC much. The other day I'd driven about 6 miles when the AC quit cooling. The magnetic clutch wasn't engaging.

It took me a day or so to realize that the 20-amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and, with the engine off in my driveway, heard the clutch click when I turned on the AC and blower.

When I left the driveway the next day, the fuse blew as soon as I turned on the AC. I disconnected the wire to the clutch and tried another fuse. It blew immediately when I turned on the AC.

The next fuse was okay with the radiator fan disconnected. Aha! When the first fuse blew, it might have been the first time in years that the fan had been called for. I tried the fan from the battery through an amp meter. It consistently drew about 9 amps, but the starting surge was huge.

Now the AC works again, but the radiator fan hasn't yet come on.

I wonder if the fan motor was sticky from years of disuse, and the starting surge was blowing fuses. Does this happen with electric motors? Should it be lubed?

A pressure switch, indicating a hot condenser, turns on the fan. If the fan was blowing the fuse, the pressure switch must have been on even with the clutch unplugged. Can a system hold high pressure in the condenser several hours like that? Can the pressure switches get sticky?

Reply to
J Burns