radio problem

I have a 98 sentra and just recently I have been getting a lot of static when I listen to the AM stations. The weird part is that if the car is idle I don't have any static. But once I accelerate, the static gets louder. If I take my foot off the gas, the static gets lower. Its just like the static is keeping pace with what the engine is doing. FM doesn't have this problem.

It starts to disappear if I get up to 50, 55 mph.

By the way it is the standard radio that came with the car.

Anyone have an idea what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Reply to
Matt

sounds liek it might be the sound suppressor that stops the radio from making a whining noise when the car accelerates and slows down. It is normally located on the negative terminal of the alternator. It may jsut have a loose wire or need replacing.

Reply to
Jeff

I have that problem on my 98 Sentra SE also. I never got it fixed under warranty, and never got around to trying to fix it myself. I believe the shop manual implies you should get a bunch of ground straps and start grounding all body and engine parts together. But I am starting to suspect the place to start is to connect a ground strap to the hood to the rest of the body and to the engine. That's where I intend to start. The reason I intend to start here is that the hood should shield the ignition noise from the antenna, if its grounded properly. The antenna is connected to the radio with coax, which is shielded. The only other way to get in the radio is through the speakers or power supply connections.

Jim

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Jim Madsen