Re: '01 Pathfinder, clutch slips only in fifth gear.

I've got an '01 Pathfinder with a manual transmission. I did the same 100 mile tow with my boat traile

(about 2100 pounds) four times over the four-day holiday weekend. On Saturday, the clutch slippe once, on Sunday several times, on Monday once, on Tuesday not at all. The drive is all highway, spee limits for passenger cars 55-65, mostly freeway or close to freeway. The slips were all on uphill stretches

What's interesting is that it only slipped in fifth gear. I could absolutely stand on it in other gears, no slip

On Sunday I had to featherfoot it to keep it from slipping in fifth. Other gears were fine. But I don' see what the gear would have to do with it -- the clutch is in front of the gearbox

I recognize that I'm probably due for a new clutch, and probably a new rear main seal (there's some oi

on the bottom of the trans that's thin like 5W30 from the engine and doesn't smell like trans oil

Chuck Tribole chuck since your using your truck for towing i would recommend you upgrad the original clutch and pressure plate with a more heavier duty kit. "Centerforce" makes a great stage II clutch kit that would be much more durable for you towing needs

&modelid 5&year 00&partid

Reply to
johnin

I've done heavy-duty clutches in the past. My left leg is still sore 20 years later. I think the underlyng problem here isn't the clutch, but the rear main seal.

mile tow with my boat trailer

Saturday, the clutch slipped

drive is all highway, speed

slips were all on uphill stretches.

stand on it in other gears, no slip.

gears were fine. But I don't

main seal (there's some oil

smell like trans oil.

"Centerforce" makes a great stage II clutch kit that would be

&modelid 5&year 00&partid7

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

years later. I think the underlyng

The higher the gear, the greater load on the motor, therefore the more stress is put on the clutch. The motor will develop the same torque in any gear but the lower the gear the higher the torque multiplication to the rear wheels, so the easier it is for the engine to propel the vehicle. Less work, less stress. It may be that the rear main is allowing oil to get on the clutch, but the result is still a clutch that is not doing it's job properly.

Baz

Reply to
The Baz

The newer diaphram clutches aren't like what you remember. Also the centerforce clutch has improved linings which increase their capacity. We use them on most of our hotrod Z car projects.

Then again it probably is just because your clutch has so many miles on it, usually the rear main leaking doesn't get oil on the clutch lining. Don't wait to replace this or you'll end up roasting the flywheel.

Reply to
Steve T