Re: 1990 maxima water pump replacement

> Should I consider doing this job at home? Local shops want $500.00 -

>> $600.00 to do the job. >> If I decide to the the job what are the "watch-outs" ? >> >> Thx > > I was wondering if you tackled this and how it turned out. I need to > do the same on a '90 maxima, but from the instructions in the > Chilton's repair manual are pretty vague. > > Any info would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks >
Reply to
DS

It's the VG30E SOHC V6, 160 HP. Timing belt motor.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Same engine as my Pathfinder. This is a fairly involved job but easily done at home for someone with some mechanical skills and the right tools. Hopefully you have a service manual. Things to watch out for: don't spill coolant on your timing belt, keep track of bolts from timing belt covers.

Consider replacing your timing belt, timing belt tensioner and thermostat while you're in there. This could save you money and time in the future. It's better to replace these earlier rather than later.

Good luck! DS

Reply to
DS

If this job is fairly involved in your pathfinder, isnt it quite a bit more so on the Maxima? The engine will be facing sideways with less room to maneuver. I assume the VG30E in your pathy is facing front, no?

CD

Reply to
codifus