Re: 87 Maxima 3 Wire Oxygen Sensor Circuit

3wire?

> Is the magic Nissan "1v titania" sensor with a red wire? No such > thing, they are Zirconia, the red wire is to fool the trade. > > white wire is signal 0-1v > red wire is heater +12v from ignition switch. > black wire is heater ground. ECU uses a transistor to switch the > ground on and off. It only heats the sensor during warm up, idle, low > load, lift off (throttle idle switch on) to stop it cooling off. > > If engine is properly warm for 2000rpm test the lack of a heater won't > affect it. Just delays how long it's takes to go into closed loop from > idle. > > Look for an air leak. > Check AFM connection, disconnect ACC and wiggle AFM connector, if revs > change it's a poor connection. > -- > Peter Hill > Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header > Can of worms - what every fisherman wants. > Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!

Yep, this is the original 3 wire Zirconia sensor with a red wire. 12V supply tests OK. I'll test both the signal and ground at 2000 rpm at op temp. Having ground controlled by a transistor in the ECM makes sense, surprising that the factory manual did not say to test when at operating temp. It further says to check the ground points if an open circuit found, so there is a mistake in the diagnostic.

AFM= Air Fuel Meter. What component to you mean by ACC? I can't find a reference to it. Do you mean IAC= Idle Air Controller?

Reply to
Edge

For the 02 sensor at 2000 rpm and operation temp I get .23 - .77 V and a full cycle .23 -.77 -.23 takes about 1 sec. At idle the O2 stays at 0.8V at operating temp. When unplug a vacuum line to make it lean the voltage drops to .19 V. The heater circuit is bad, but like you say it should only affect it during warm up. Sounds like this O2 sensor is marginal. Should I replace it?

Reply to
Edge
Reply to
Telstar Electronics

You are probably right that the sensor is OK and these are typical numbers. My only thought was I wasn't getting the full range from .10

-.90 V, it didn't drop to .10 V when lean and maybe crosscounts are a bit slow based on some tech info I read.

I am still getting 15 mpg city. My next areas to check was if the O2 signal is reaching the ECM , vacuum leak, and MAF

Reply to
Edge

Sorry I meant AAC, Auxiliary Air Control, part of the IAA unit, Idle Air Adjusting unit. Yes it's the IAC

Reply to
Peter Hill