Re: 89 240sx Auto - where's the inhibitor switch?

Hi Eric, On my '90 240SX the blue relay is bolted to the inner fender next to the battery and has two connectors plugged into the bottom. Mine has had starting problems too and a rebuilt starter fixed most of the trouble and now I'm still getting a ~1 second hesitation when I turn the key. I'm living with that until it gets worse as it always starts after the small delay. The starter solenoid gets it's ground thru the starter brushes, a questionable design in my opinion. Good Luck CR '90 240 Hatchback, 5-speed A joy to drive in the twisty bits

I have an '89 240sx Automatic. The car was having hot-start issues, > so I replaced the starter. Now the car still has the same problem, > only it has gotten worse. > > When I try to start it all I hear is a click. I try again and another > click. Try again and then it starts. > > I'd like to switch the inhibitor relay with the one from my '90 240sx > to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone know where it is? > > I read that it's a blue box near the battery but I don't see it. > > thanks > Eric >
Reply to
Cosmic Ray

Rocko, I'm not sure if there is an inhibitor relay by the battery - if there is then it's going to be a small blue relay that is actually located inside the big black fuse box located behind your car battery. If the relay isn't the cause of your problem, then you may want to check the inhibitor switch which is located on your transmission and is accessible by removing the center console between the driver & passenger seat. Once you remove the center console you should see the inhibitor swith attached directly to your shifter. However, your inhibitor relay/switch may not be the problem. Check the

10 amp fuse for the Start Signal Circuit located in the fuse box by the driver side kickpanel - make sure it's not burnt out. While you're there check all the other fuses. The starter uses several signals from various electrical circuits within your car to start the car. Your also might want to consider that your ignition switch could be going bad. If you have to wiggle the ignition key while you are turning the ignition switch to the "START" position, then it's definitely your ignition switch. I had this problem on my 95 240SX SE. Anyhow, hope you find the attached info useful. If you would like more info regarding your 240SX, you might want to subscribe to the FREE 240-Chat list. It's a national group of 240SX owners who post questions about & share information about their 240sx's. You can join by following the instructions at the following link:
this helps. ID

Rocko wrote: > I have an '89 240sx Automatic. The car was having hot-start issues, > so I replaced the starter. Now the car still has the same problem, > only it has gotten worse. >

Reply to
IdLaFie