Re: 94 Nissan Altima

My Nissan Altima is wearing the front tires on the inside.Any opinions

> on what may be the cause.I have a factory manual it says only toe in can > be adjusted.Can anyone give me any ideas on what I should look for? > Thanks for any help! > Bobby >

The factory would like you to start throwing parts at it if anything other than toe is out of whack. Its not really true, at least not on a '94. A good frame & alignment shop can simply bend it back into spec if it needs anything over and above a simple toe adjustment. Usually they charge less than the chain tire shops want for a toe adjustment.

Reply to
E. Meyer

It's 169,000 miles on it,and the tires are wearing pretty fast,and the tires were recently put on.I'll get it to a good shop that does frame alinments.No need in throwing parts at it...Thanks for the help!

Reply to
bobby swift

yeah, that's the ticket.

Instead of fixing what wrong with the car just take it somewhere where they just bend it back into shape.

NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH

The only adjustable angle in the front of a U13 series Altima is the Toe adjustment.

Depending on what is out of speck weather it be camber or toe or both may dictate how much it may cost to get it in line.

also don't forget that improper thrust angle can cause the wear you speak of.

Typically inner edge wear is caused by improper toe or excessive negative camber.

Reply to
Kenny

That was what I thought exactly...negative camber.I checked it some today.I pushed down on each corner and it's tight,doesn't bounce,I didn't see any strut leaks,ball joints were tight.I've probably put about 3,000 miles on it since I got it in feb.this year.It's supposed to be a one owner car,but no telling who drove it.I'll let a alingment specialest examine it when I can get a chance.I agree don't want to bend it back in alingment.Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

I can tell you've never dealt with a Japanese car with allegedly unadjustable suspension before. I speak from experience with 25 years of Hondas & Nissans, including a '95 Altima. What's your qualification to comment? Just try getting that unadjustable angle fixed without bending something.

I'm not saying this particular car needs anything of the sort, it might just be out of adjustment on one of the "adjustable" angles. But if its not, I'll guarantee you Firestone's not going to fix it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Qualifications , ok you got it.

Employed for 25 year at a Nissan Dealership

18 Years as a Nissan Master Technician 18 Years as an ASE master with L1 (when L1 became available)

Is that enough?

Fyi, I have yet to run into a vehicle than has not been wrecked that can't get it lined up within specks without bending metal.

Reply to
Kenny

All that and they've got you working alignments? Kinda sad.

You've never seen a Ford twin I-beam set up then. Bending is the prescribed alignment technique.

Working in a dealership, I can't imagine you see very many older cars. How many 15 year old Altimas come into your dealership for alignments? In any event, I didn't say they couldn't be aligned without bending metal, just that throwing parts at it if the problem is not simple toe adjustment is not the only alternative.

There are only two ways a car gets out of line -

1) something is worn out and no longer in spec, in which case you have to replace parts.

2) something gets bent. That can be the result of minor contact with a curb while parking or a pot hole in the road. I guess if you call that wrecked, then your statement is correct, but it also applies to almost every car on the road that's more than a few years old. Most of the time, a simple toe adjustment will fix it. If the problem is not toe, then, yes, you can align it by throwing parts at it. There are camber kits, etc., available for many cars that achieve the adjustment by moving the mounting points, but with otherwise serviceable parts, a small tweak by an alignment shop that has the right equipment and knows what its doing is much cheaper and just as effective.

Reply to
E. Meyer