Re: 94 sentra problems any help would be appreciated

Hello,

> > I have a 94 sentra with about 120k miles. last night while shopping i > tried to go home and the car would not start. > > here is a description. > rubber burning smell. > turn key, engine turns over shakes hard dies. > engine dies when key is let go, but on a cold start it almost starts > up shakes and turns off. > > smell is coming from the drivers side, new battery, new altenator and > starter. > > lights work, radio works. > > does the a/c compressor have anything to do with this? >

Maybe - was the A/C switched on when you tried to start the car? You mention a recent new alternator. I suggest you take a close look at the accessory belts and make sure they are all still on the pulleys. Either a seized accessory or a belt that has come off and is now wrapped around something would account for all the symptoms you describe. If you have a handy helper, get him/her to watch all the belt driven devices under the hood (from a safe distance) while you try to start it and see if the pulley is not turning on one of them.

Reply to
E. Meyer

If it really is a rubber smell (and not electrical wiring) and you did have the alternator replaced, maybe the guy didn't adjust the belt tension correctly, or, said belt is not tracking properly and rbbing on something? Or maybe he knocked something loose while doing that?

There's not too many things in there to give you a "rubber burning" smell...I'd start with the belts. Hopefully, it's not a timing belt (if the '94 Sentra has one).

John D.

Reply to
John D.

sounds like one of the accessories that is driven by a belt is locked up, meaning it will not turn try removing the belts , one at a time and see if it will start.

My guess is that either the A/C compressor or the alternator is locked up

Reply to
NissTech

the problem is that the engine compression is completely bad. I am going to have to get a new car.

compression is like 90 10 25 45

Reply to
larry