Re: Changing Oil - Nissan Pathfinder XE

Great idea! I have also been looking into the remote mount filter system. Pricey though.

Just to add to the "trick", maybe poke the hole in the filter from the engine compartment side (top). Then put your funnel or small catch basin under the filter and rotate it until the hole is on the bottom. You should spill less oil that way. And immediately below the filter is the starter. I just rebuilt mine and I'm pretty certain that some of the failure can be attributed to all the oil caked onto/into it.

DS

Actually you should be able to use a screwdriver to puncture the old filter. > I've never been so anxious to change my oil before to test out this new > trick! > > > > That sounds like a solution, even if it adds more time to the process. > > > > Due to the thin/soft metal of most oil filters, I would think that a > > very sharp icepick sharply tapped with a small hammer would make the > > "drain hole" quicker so you could get the funnel under there sooner > > before too much oil came out. Besides, oil might dribble down the > > drillbit and all over the drill! > > > > I have the same problem on my 1995 Nissan 200 SX SE (as do all the > > Sentras with the GA16DE engines): The oil filter is in the back > > mounted horizontally. When it is removed, oil does come out and drip > > down the side of the engine no matter how fast you are unscrewing it, > > and some of the oil runs down onto the exhaust pipe but it's not too > > much and can be wiped off. > > > > Still, I think the horizontal mounted filter is a poor design idea. > > > > I'll try the hole & funnel idea next time myself! > > > > John D. > > > > > > > > > I know this post is a bit old but my friend just recently told me a > secret > > > trick. Have not tried it yet but will on the next oil change. > > > > > > Take a center punch or drill bit (if you can get a drill down there) and > > > place a small hold in the filter, then you can place a funnel in the > area > > > and let the oil drain a while before taking the filter off. > > > > > > If anyone else tries it let us know how you make out. > > > > > > Mike > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > >>When I remove the oil filter, oil drains directly onto the starter. > Is > > > this > > > > >>the correct way to do this? I have tried removing the drain plug > from > > > the > > > > >>oil pan and the oil fill cap and leaving it to drain for several > hours > > > but, > > > > >>there is still oil in the filter that drains onto the starter. I > don't > > > want > > > > >>to damage the starter. Any ideas, suggestions, comments.....? > Thanks. > > > > > > > > > >No way to get around it. There's always going to be oil in the > filter. > > > Put the > > > > >new filter on right away and wipe the oil off. > > > > > > > > They should make engineers pull the cars into their offices and change > > > > the oil over their fancy carpet... or better yet, over their latest > > > > stack of designs. Maybe then they'd place filters in areas where you > > > > can get a pan under them to catch _all_ the oil that drips out before > > > > the freakin thing squirms out of your hand and makes a giant mess > > > > under the car. > > > > > > > > My Nissans have had some of the _worst_ oil filter locations. > > > > > > > > Bob > >
Reply to
DS

I don't think the Nissan engines are the worst design.

Have you ever tried the oil filter removal from the mid 80s Honda Accord?

It's between the engine and the firewall and unlike the Maxima that I can reach from up front right without the car on ramps I couldn't even get under there and see it before I drove the car onto the ramps.

I think it's the nature of the beasts. I recall a Chevy somewhere along the line in the 40s, 50s or 60s where you could buy a kit to move the oil filter to a vertical position. You then could change it from the hood side of the engine without it running down your arm and onto the driveway. I think it was a bracket, a container the filter went into and a couple of lines that moved the filter to the side of the manifold on the Chevy 6 engines.

So it's not only Japanese engines that have this annoying trait.

I usually run high pressure water out of the garden hose over the filter area and below it > Great idea! I have also been looking into the remote mount filter system.

Reply to
Max

On my 95, I have always removed the filter from above. Just reach down, unscrew it and remove. Of course oil then leaks out onto the starter and exhaust, etc. It's not hard to reach.

I've had to drive a screwdriver through filters in the past just to be able to remove them. I can't believe I never thought of this trick before.

DS

Reply to
DS

My car info is in my first post above.

Yes, it IS some work but at 53, I guess I'm not in a big hurry anymore...if I ever was (I DO have lots of patience).

Plus, in these hot summer temps outside here now in the Southwest, I take my time anyway. Besides, under the car I'm in the shade!

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Well, the punch trick sounds good to me. I wouldn't drill since you never know where one of those little metal bits might end up, but punching sounds like a good idea.

For whoever mentioned "vertical", that sucks even worse. If you are doing it right, you warm up the engine before an oil change. When you remove a vertical filter, all the oil above runs down around your hand. Not to mention, the filter will always be full of oil, so the slightest mistake when lowering it makes a mess. Nissan also seems to stick splash shields in the way. Horizontal is best, but they have to put the filter somewhere accessible so that you can unscrew it a few turns, let the oil drip, then, remove it. That doesn't work well with the Max.

But, this new punch idea sounds like it would solve the "mess" problem, at least on one of my cars. I'll have to try it on the Max and see where the oil ends up.

Bob (Still changing his oil in the street instead of in his pristine driveway, just in case :-)

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Funny you should mention that. I once put fresh Mobil 1 in my Talon Turbo along with a new oil filter. I started it up and heard a weird sound. The sound was 4 litres of $26 Mobil 1 spraying all over my driveway. On closer inspection, it turned out the o-ring on the filter was defected and allowed the pressurized oil to spray out. What a mess!

One good thing though, I went back to the store that I bought the oil and filter from and they replaced both free of charge.

DS

Reply to
DS

Search for oil filter on this site -

You'll find $60-70oil filter relocation kits for certain years of Hardbody, Pathfinder, andFrontier. Some of these could be used on cars with the same filter mount.

Reply to
Monte