Re: Corolla v Civic v Hyundai/Nissan moeds

Before you say you cant afford a hybrid, lets take a look at the web site, base Prius $21,100, base Corolla auto (apples to apples) $17,110, difference $2,715, City epa for Prius is 48, Corolla 26 Presuming that is the best you could do in either car (not likely) the Prius would use 250 gallons of gas a year, the Corolla 461 presuming your 12,000 per year driven....@ lets say $4.50 a gallon you would save $949 per year/ 2715=2.8 years for break even, then you would save oh I don't know $1000 a year in gas, not to mention be driving a MUCH cleaner car and doing your own little part to reduce the use of fossil fuel.

As for the batteries, Honda has had Hybrids since 96, Toyota about 98 (not positive) if there were massive battery failures, don't you think there would be a public outcry by now? why do you think no one really knows what it would cost to replace them? could it be not many are replaced? If it were a common item, I can assure you, there would be a price attached to it. By the way, Brakes last much longer in a Hybrid due to the fact that much of the forward energy is converted to electricity when stopping.

So, Lets recap, 10 years ownership, Prius, car and fuel only $32,350, Corolla, car & fuel only $37,855, so, looks like you can't afford to save $5,505?

I am not a fan of the Prius BTW, I prefer the H>

: Well, you may be thinking that it's "too expensive to buy". It may or > : may not be too expensive to operate. > : > : The up front cost is only one of the many costs. You buy it once, but > : you operate it over and over again. You must look at an overall cost, > : per mile, to come to any conclusions. > : > : I'd compare similarly equipped Corolla and Prius... > > Just using round numbers, the price difference appears to be $6000. > > If I drive 12000 miles per year, Corolla (30 mpg) would need 400 > gallons of fuel. Prius (40mpg) about 300 gallons. Difference is 100 > gallons, let's say $500. > > That would mean 10-12 years to merely recover the extra money you pay > upfront. So, I am not saying Prius is not a good car, but it has become > something of a fad/fashion too and I don't see the economy: I give them > $6000, and hope that maybe I'd earn it back by 2020? :) > > So, I am inclined to stay with the best of conventional cars. Trying to > figure out which one!
Reply to
Justbob30

: Before you say you cant afford a hybrid, lets take a look at the web site, : base Prius $21,100, base Corolla auto (apples to apples) $17,110, difference : $2,715,

ONE, the difference between your own numbers is $4000.

TWO, I am not sure if "apples to apples" is as fair a comparison as you make it sound. Corolla is available in cheaper versions, Prius is not. A manual CE would not only cost less but also have better mpg.

Reply to
Newbie

Hmmm, Cost of battery pack when it needs replacing?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oops that was a math error, so that drops your savings down to $4,000 in 10 years. Show me the data indicating battery packs fail in great numbers, at least as much as transmission and engine problems as hybrid cars have been on the road more than 10 years and some have over 300,000 miles on them. The other issue, is why would you want a low end car with a manual transmission, I would not even consider one. It would also have poor resale value? though not a major factor, but, unless you are going to drive the car into the ground, it has some bering. If you are comparing a car with an automatic trans, yes, you need to add the auto to the other....BTW. I did use the base Corolla for the comparison but comparing a stripped econo-box to a fairly well equipped car is the same logic people use when comparing the Honda hybrid to the Civic DX, sorry, like it or not, the hybrid is on par with the EX not the DX so, though you may be happy with a low end car, Hybrids are not and therefore the difference it owed to more than the cost of the hybrid system but the Hybrid may not be for you.

Reply to
Justbob30

Is no different than the cost of the traditional automatic transmission when it needs replacing.

And after 125K, a traditional auto trans will need replacing. It seems to be normal nowadays.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

: The other issue, is why would you want a low end car with a manual : transmission..

I was just pointing out that it is an option. If someone is comfortable with manual transmission (as OP stated) and wants to save money while still getting Corolla quality, he can.

I have owned manual and automatic Toyotas and never had problem selling either kind.

Reply to
Newbie

And as gas prices climb closer to $4/gal, small efficient manual transmission vehicles will be more desirable. I expect to see a premium on manual trans, small engine cars pretty soon in the US.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

As CVT's gain ground, the benefits of a manual transmission (in terms of fuel economy) fade. Most CVT's are either equaling or exceeding the mpg rating of manuals. I'm not ready to trust CVT's yet, and prefer to see them proven over time, but they do show promise.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

CVT's have been in common production since 1989, Subaru Justy & Honda Civic HCH how long do they need to be around before you can trust them?

Reply to
Justbob30

Also, the Prius isn't heavily discounted off of MSRP, while the Corolla is. There was brief period, after California gave out the maximum number of carpool lane stickers for hybrids, that Prius street prices fell a lot, but now with the higher gas prices they're back up.

Reply to
SMS

Maybe on some vehicles. I know a lot of high-mileage Corollas (>200K) and it's certainly not normal to need a new transmission, at least no one I know of with a high-mileage Corolla (or Camry, or Accord, or Civic) has ever needed one.

Where did you get the idea that it was "normal?".

Reply to
SMS

The newer automatics are so efficient that they often get higher mileage than a manual transmission in the same car. No one that drive extensively in heavy stop and go traffic is going to put up with a manual transmission.

Reply to
SMS

A good analysis, but real world consumption figures show the Prius lower than the EPA rating, much lower in cold winter weather. On the up side for the Prius here in Canada there are Gov. rebates for low consumption vehicles, which drop the price of the Prius significantly, the Camry hybrid quite a bit and even the Corolla slightly.

Reply to
Josh S

I was not aware that they were in common production for those cars. Are you quite certain? Most of the Civics I'm aware of had automatics or standards.

In any event, not all manufacturers have a lot of experience with them. If you want to jump on board with a manufacturer's early ventures into a technology, be my guest. Experience has shown that to be less than advisable.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My real world consumption figures for my Prius in NJ is a reliable 50+ MPG in the winter and 52-55 nowadays. Blocking the front grille slats in the winter keeping the engine warmer goes a long way. So my real world consumption figures for my Prius in NJ is higher than the EPA rating. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Current generation Honda Civic.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The only one I see that get better mileage is the CNG version.

Clay

Reply to
frijoli

Nope. Look again.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Okay, where am I to look? I didn't see it on Honda's' site, nor Fueleconomy.gov

Reply to
frijoli

My Chrysler 4 sp automatic, which came out in the early 90s, has lockup on the top 3 gears. In effect it has 7 gears. The fuel mileage is excellent.

Reply to
Josh S