Re: General 2004 Quest Questions

I am looking at the 2004 Quest and had some questions I did not feel

> that my salesman was up to answering. He is a great guy and I would > probably buy the unit from him, just not use him as a resource to learn more > about the vehicle. :-D > > The rear moonroof covers seem a little on the cheesy side. How are they > working in real life? Do they block the sun when closed, keep out heat, > etc? I am surprised to see skimping on one of their big selling points on > the vehicle.

I don't know. We have had only one SE come in our dealership. It came in on my day off and sold within an hour. I didn't get to see how that works.

> The 1 page handout says that both captain's chairs and one position in > the rear chair have LATCH. I saw the indicators on the captain's chairs, > which position in the rear? The center? BTW, is the center shoulder belt > just hanging from the ceiling? Does it retract all the way back up? Do you > have to do anything else to keep it from flopping around?

I haven't checked out LATCH on the Quest yet. I've only found one customer that had a child seat that was LATCH compatible in the last 6 months. With our dealership not have a seat like that, I haven't had a chance to play with it.

> How does everyone like the barrel console mounted shifter? Looks a > little on the funky side like they were trying too hard to carry over the > airplane motif. ;-) 3/4 flaps please.

I've had nothing but compliments for the center console; well, for anyone who has actually tried it. The shifter fits the hand just perfectly and seems very natural. My only minor complaint is that the overdrive on/off toggle is too easy to hit and turn off. Most of my customers don't even see that and I have to point it out.

> Is the DVD nav system easy to view for both passenger and driver? Glare > issues?

Very intensionally, the DVD screen is not viewable by the driver at all. That would be a huge safety problem. Hey, you can't watch a movie while you are putting on makeup or shaving. ;-)

The Quests that we have got in with the DVD are only for the 2nd row. It works very well without glare. It's plenty bright enough for daylight viewing. It is rather small for the 3rd row passengers. I wouldn't want to watch it from back there. That's why a second screen is an option on the SE for the 3rd row.

> How about glare, brightness and angle issues for the rear TVs? Can both > rows see the TVs fine?

The 2nd row screen doesn't seem to have a glare problem. The angle is adjustable up and down/front to back, but not side to side. I'm sure that helps keep the glare down.

> The web and 1 page handout says the MSRP price includes the seat option. > The dealer I went to lists a $650 charge for the seat option plus $700 for > their setup. Is this what I should expect?

Oddly, the Seat Package is an option on all Quests. I hope I never get one in without it. I'm not sure what the setup charge is for, there is nothing for the dealer to do. It sounds like a surcharge to get more profit out of you. Come to Kelly Nissan in Oak Lawn, IL and we won't change you any more than sticker. We will charge you sticker though, just like everyone else. If you aren't in the Chicago area, find a dealer that isn't going to rip you off. You shouldn't have to pay for setup on a package that comes from the factory.

> --Larry > > >

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Davidson

Sounds like the 'ol "dealer prep" charge. Never pay for dealer prep, the factory already pays the dealer to do it.

On a new vehicle you might get stuck paying list if they're in short supply. Still, don't fall for any of the traditional profit enhancers that some dealers try. Read up a little on car buying if you are not familiar.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

:::snip:::

:::snip:::

Not the movie screen, the DVD navigational screen for directions and such. If the driver and passenger seats cannot see it I would have a hard time using it to figure out where I had to go. ;-)

I was worried that the placement would cause glare for one or both people thus reducing the usefulness of the $2000 option.

Thanks for the note on the seat charge, did strike me as a little cheesy.

--Larry

Reply to
LlamaLarry

Ah, the Navigation screen. That is in the center of the dash right by the speedo. It is shaded properly and offers no glare, that I've noticed. It is very readable by both the driver and front passenger. BTW, it won't let you do anything while the Quest is moving. Another safety device.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Davidson

Even by the passenger (while the Quest is moving)?

Reply to
FrittoB

Yeah something must be wrong here as stopping the car to actually use the Nav system really reduces its usefulness.

--Larry

Reply to
LlamaLarry

All the Nissan Nav systems have this "feature". Its a royal pain. Nissan insists the government is making them do it. Honda systems, on the other hand, are fully functional when moving. I think its a little piece of "big brother"ism.

Reply to
E. Meyer

The Quest isn't smart enough to know who is playing with the nav system. Therefore, it won't allow changes when it is moving. I was taking a customer on a test drive. I learned this when I was in the passenger seat trying to play with it.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Davidson

But it increases it's safety. I guess Nissan thinks you shouldn't play with the nav system while you are shaving or putting on makeup. ;-)

Believe me, the nav system is complicated enough that you should NOT play with it while you are driving. If you had a security system that you could prove that it was the passenger running it, that would be nice. However, you can assume that the driver is always the person who want the directions.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Davidson

Yeah but this just means it is a $2K option that requires me to stop so I can use it, adding to the frustration of being lost. ;-)

Cements my decision not to get this option but it seems a shame to waste that space in the console.

--Larry

Reply to
LlamaLarry

Probably a lawyer somewhere who's afraid of a countersuit if you were to crash your Nissan while playing with the navigation system.

I had a chance to test the NAV over the weekend (albeit in a Murano, can't find an SE anywhere) and it is very functional: . we were getting picked up by no less than 6 satellites while driving around. . It comes with a DVD that runs kindof an onstar program (wonder how often Nissan will ship updates?) . It has a 2D and 3D display option. The 3D was interesting and probably demo's better, but I preferred the 2D . It includes lots of different categories of destinations (ie, Gas, Hotels, Churches, etc.) . You can save your own personal favorite locations . The female voice worked nice ("left turn coming up in two blocks") . Wish it was voice activated. The technology is there, no reason they couldn't have it speaking back and forth with you.

Reply to
FrittoB

all - I'm in the market, and have a question for llarryllama: I'm ready to buy the loaded se, and need / want the dvd w/ 2 screen options (4 kids), but don't really want the nav system.

One of the dealers I've spoken with has said that "soon" the se's will be released the the nav system from the dvd 2.

Larry, have you heard about this ? 2K is still $ 2 K.

any ideas or folks to call at nissan would be welcome.

thanks, Eric

-- eric28

's Profile:
'84View this thread: