Re: how soon ok to switch to synthetic

The issue is not that Synthetic is better. everyone knows that it is. The issue is if it is needed. Most car owners don't envision having their cars for over 100K Miles, yet a good diet of cheap walmart oil will make a Nissan engine last 200 K Miles easily. Synthetic oil is a luxury, not a necessity, especially with todays oils. It's OK to love your car, just keep things rational.

Also, synthetic oils in the differentials is a different story.

CD

Reply to
codifus

That 100k mile "barrier" is such BS now days. I've had a few vehicles of '87 or newer vintage go well over 200k miles before I sold 'em.

One Toyota I had (91 4Runner) had 275k on it when I sold it a year and a half ago. Didn't use more than 1/2qt of oil between changes and would still chirp the tires going into 2nd gear.

The wife's '89 240SX has 164k on it and will give a healthy bark going into 3rd gear.

Both vehicles ran on dino oil with changes every 3,000-4,000 miles.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Well put and exactly right.

Reply to
JimV

My neighbour, a salesman with a large territory in Ontario finally sold his Hinda Accord with 620,000 KM on it. Regular oil only.

The tie rod ends broke the day before he sold it, and he had to get some body work done as a result.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 20:01:55 -0400, "Richard Tomkins" graced this newsgroup with:

and I sold an old Dodge Dart that didn't have it's radiator flushed in a 100,000mi and it still ran.

There's always exceptions to the rule but that doesn't make it the norm or the recommended way to preserve an engine.

Reply to
kegler