Re: Oh, my. What a waste.

willshak wrote in

> news:yLadnRpYOtHosoPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com: > >>
> Good grief! They should have offered them at crazy knock down prices if > people would agree to signing a waiver over future reliability. > > Chippie.

The Japanese manufacturer did the correct thing. While it does seem like such a waste, there was no way that that they could be certain (to their satisfaction) that they would be selling vehicles that did not have inherent defects, some undoubtedly life-threatening. They could easily argue that their own standards will not permit them to knowlingly sell such vehicles at any price. But the main reason is prob ably legal; the idea that a buyer may be willing to understake any risks by signing off on a waiver indemnifying Mazda from any damages or claims on the surface sounds reasonable, until you stop to consider that the wife or family members or any dependents of the injured (the one who signed the waiver) could easily bring action against them despite the signed waiver. This wasteful action is a result of our litigation-crazy lawyer infested society in which we live.

Reply to
JohnK

on 5/6/2008 11:42 AM JohnK said the following:

They should have filled the cars with lawyers before they crushed them.

Reply to
willshak

"JohnK" wrote in news:j%_Tj.298375$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

just tilting the car isn't going to cause "life-threatening" defects.

Now,if a car got soaked,that's a different matter.It's not that hard to find the ones that actually got dunked.

I'd gladly take one of the dry cars for the cost of shipping and waive liability. They could also have donated the dry cars to poor people who needed a car to get to work.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

on 5/6/2008 6:19 PM Jim Yanik said the following:

If one of those poor people got killed or badly injured due to something in the car failing, the lawyers will insure that those people, or their survivors, won't be poor anymore. Mazda figured it was cheaper to crush the cars than to have to pay a multi million dollar law suit settlement. "They knew, or should have known, that there could be a failure" is the basis for a winnable lawsuit..

Reply to
willshak

Yes, as the joke goes...."a good start".

Reply to
JohnK