Re: So my car died yesterday . . . .

njmodi wrote:> CD, I'm no pro - but I think the oil leaking into the spark plug

chamber (due to a bad valve cover seal) has nothing to do with your > problem.

I think your problem lies elsewhere, i.e. bad fuel pump, etc.

> Nirav >

So far, I assumed maybe my gas gage is funky, so I filled the car to half a tank. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump priming as normal. As the car is turning over, I hear the fuel pump steadily humming at lower frequency. Still, the RPM gage does not budge. I smelled the tailipie for gas but I'm not sure what I'm smelling because I have gas smells all over myself right now.

No luck. The car just won't start. I'll be repalcing all the ignition parts later today.

Some time back I remember my relative had a similar problem on his honda civic. We replaced all the ignition parts. We smelled the exhaust and definitely smelt fuel. It turned out to be an ignition part, but not the normal maintenance items like rotor and cap. It was the magnetic coil that has some function inside the distributor. I wonder if my car has a similar setup. My sentra ignition seems to be a somewhat sophisticated ignition system as the distirbutor cap has 2 sensors connected to it. one with 5 wires and the other with 2. I guess the 2 wire connector is the cam position sensor parheps?

More suggestions welcome.

Thanks

CD you mentioned you dont see your tach r.p.m gauge not moving?

-check your timing belt has it broken? does the roter in the distributer turn when you crank it? if not "your timing belt is broken" and will give you a no start

-check for spark using a spark tester on the end of the wire you should have a purple"sh blue spark

-check for fuel pressure is there enough fuel pressure being delivered to the engine this can be checked with a gauge attached to a fuel line but

- you will need to know the specified pressure reading your car calls for before running a test

-and always a good idea to carefully inspect & re-check your basic items

Reply to
johnin