Re: timing chain guide broken ?? .. 97 pickup

$1200??! Ack! Choke! Man, I'm not looking forward to that.

Today my mechanic told me the rattle in my 97 4x4 kingcab was the timing > chain guide, the chain was fine but the guide was not all there... $1200.00 > is what it will cost me... Local Nissan, who said they could work on it > sooner and if this truly is the repair needed also told me $1200.00.. any > advice, comments, thanks Joel > >
Reply to
Dino

Its not too hard to check it yourself. Take a piece of hose and hold it on the valve cover at the front of the engine (watch out for the fan) and listen while the engine is running. If it is the chain guide, you will hear the chain slapping against the inside of the cover.

If you have the 2.4 engine, there are two chains. If the top guides are bad, it is relatively easy to fix and will not cost anywhere near $1200. If it is the lower chain guides, the job is extensive and $1200 sounds about right.

Do you still have the orig> Today my mechanic told me the rattle in my 97 4x4 kingcab was the timing

Reply to
E. Meyer