rebuilt transmission

has anyone purchased a rebuilt transmission from ebay?

was the process simple, easy and would you do it again? any words of advice, good or bad?

Reply to
hogan

Steve B.

Not to be a smart ass but "ebay" doesn't sell transmissions. They are just a conduit for someone else to sell you a product. The process is always pretty much the same but the quality and service is going to depend on the person selling you the transmission. Check the sellers feedback closely and check auctions from multiple sellers to make sure the prices are in line. Watch out for shipping prices!!! That seems to be the latest trick on e-bay.. sell you an item for a low low price and then charge out the kazoo for shipping. E-bay only charges the seller a percentage of the selling price so it is an easy way to cheat the system.

Personally if it was me I wouldn't buy a transmission from e-bay. The shipping expenses would surely take a big bite out of your savings. E-Bay sellers can be kind of hard to find again if you have an issue. If that transmission craps out in a month will you still be able to find them for service?

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

What I would do is go to a reputable mechanic you trust locally. At least if something goes wrong, you can go back to someone and they can redo it if necessary.

My '92 NX 2000 needed a rebuilt tranny a few years ago, my local mechanic knew of a good rebuilder and sent the car off...it came back, but he didn't like the way it shifted, so he did all the chasing down for me, and gave me a loaner car in the meanwhile.

He said that they ended up using my old transmission with virtually all new parts inside...his pestering carried much more weight than if I had've been bugging them because he threatened to stop sending any more business their way, whereas as an individual, they can just shrug you off.

With E-bay, it's definitely buyer beware...

Reply to
EJD