Repair power steering pump?

My 87 nissan van has a leak on the front bearing of the power steering pump. The dealer has a kit including the front bearing/seal, a C-ring, and another part or 2, for $10. I've never taken apart one of these pumps. Can anyone tell me if I'm likely to run into any problems doing this repair?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

On many PS pumps, the main seal goes in from the -inside- of the pump, otherwise the pressure would just blow it out. PS systems have a BUNCH of pressure and it's not like an engine oil seal that just pops in from the outside. Also the front bearing being worn allowing the shaft to move around is what ussually causes the problems. Not that it can't be fixed/rebuilt, just realize you have to take the pump apart to reseal it.

Reply to
Steve

You might try a junk yard and see if you can just get a used PS pump. They may even give a 30 day guarantee on it. Could save you some bucks and fix your problem. Good luck!

Reply to
PILKINGTONT

pump. They may

and fix your

Actually, I got the seal kit, and just installed it. It wasn't difficult. $11 vs. $138+. I just hope it will cure the problem. We'll see.

I'm sure glad I bought the shop manual when I got the van.

Used (and new) parts are getting hard to find for this van. It's the one that Nissan tried to buy them all back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob