Replaced Timing Chain now engine won't start

I have a 95 Nissan Sentra and my timing chain went out. When I say "went out" I mean when I opened her up to check it out all but one gear had anywhere from 3 teeth missing to one with all but maybe 6 or 7 missing. I guess it is safe to assume it must have jumped time when she finally quit. I did try to start it several times after it quit, but I never heard any bad noise. A few people tell me that it is not possible for the valves to hit the piston in these newer models, but I am not so sure. Anyway I reassembled everything and it not only doesn't start, it is as if there is no compression because the engine turns so easily, almost as if it is only the starter turning. (Yes I have checked and the engine does turn.) I know the first thing most of you will say is that it probably isn't in time, but I have checked it and checked it and by the Haynes and Chilton books it should be in time. I am certain in my mind that it is in time. All I can come up with is that at least one valve in each cylinder must be warped for it to have zero compression. It doesn't spit, sputter, or anything! I guess what I am trying to ask here, (and not wanting to hear the truth I guess hehehe), what are the odds of the valves and/or pistons being warped or damaged to where I have lost compression on all cylinders?

Reply to
Mike

Most chain engines will bend valves and a chilton/haynes book is a poor reference for anything related to a car.

Reply to
Steve

For teeth to be missing, a valve or valves must have hit the pistons. The wheels continued to drive the engine through the gearbox, a valve hit a piston so the only way the crankshaft can still turn over is if something bends or breaks.

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
brystok

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll have to save up for a new engine. I was afraid of that. :-(

Reply to
Mike