replacing ball joints on truck

I have a 86.5 D21 (aka hardbody) truck (4x2) and the factory manual says that the lower ball joints are sold with the lower control arm. However, I've seen various sites on the internet selling only the lower ball joint. Can the lower ball joint be replaced without replacing the lower control arm?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Bitter Dave

Yep. They make a tool for doing this, looks like a giant C clamp. I've tried using a press and it's not the way to do this, plus with this tool you don't have to remove the arm from the truck. The tool isn't real cheap but it's not real expencive either. Maybe you can rent one? It looks like this.

Steve T

Is another shot showing one in use.

Reply to
Steve T

Many parts stores will lend you one for free (with a deposit) if you buy the joints there.

Reply to
Jim

Autozone has a tool loan program and you don't need to purchase anything there.

Reply to
TopPoster

FYI for everyone, I just picked up a similar set over at

Just go there and plug in 38335-obma as the item in the search via item number. $39.99. I just received mine and after looking in the catalog they included with the order, it's on sale now. LOL You all enjoy the savings. I'm using it to do the rear U-joints on my '95 Pathfinder in a few weekends...

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Thanks for the info. It is pretty easy to replace the lower ball joint? Since Nissan says to replace the entire control arm, I don't have any Nissan specific instructions. Is removing the lower ball joint pretty much just pushing out the old one and pressing in the new one?

Thanks again for the help, Dave

Reply to
Bitter Dave

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.