Replacing Heater Fan Resistor in 2001 Frontier?

The heater/AC fan in my 2001 Frontier only runs on high speed. Searching through old usenet posts indicates the resistor unit needs replacing. I think I found the resistor, it's part of the blower assembly, under the dash, all the way to the right side of the truck, right?

It looks like it's a little too far up there and the quarters too cramped to get to it easily. Anyone here ever change one of these? I'm guessing the easiest thing is to remove the portion of the dash board that holds the glove box. It appears that removing four screws will do it. Correct? Is there an easier way?

Once I get the old one out I'll look to see whether a simple repair looks possible. If not, what's a cheap easy way to get a replacement? Am I stuck going to the dealer or does anyone else carry this part for less money? Available on-line?

Anything I've forgotten?

Many thanks,

-Scott McKnight

Reply to
SMcK

[...]

your almost there . drop the glove box ( 4 screws ) and you can easily replace the resistor but i did purchase the part from the dealer. they're only about $ 20.00

Reply to
D.

For future reference:

OK, now that I've done it I realize that I didn't need to pull out the glove box. I had seen the 4-wire harness running from under the blower to closer to the firewall. I had guessed that the resistor was at the blower housing end of the four wires. It was actually on the close-to-the-firewall end. I could have reached it easily without removing anything but the two screws that hold the resistor in place.

I ended up buying the new resistor. It was about $24 with tax. Looking at the old one I didn't see anything that looked like it could have been repaired.

Thanks D.

-Scott McKnight

Reply to
SMcK