Satnav

Should I go for a Tomtom unit or the Nissan OEM for a Primera ('03) SE, UK Spec. If you have you used both please comment and give an honest opinion of which to go for. Maybe there is a better one on the market?

Reply to
Oso

Most people will never use the advanced features of most newer systems. Garmin 2610 refurbished for $300 or so will do you just fine. Upgrade to a

2GB CF card and you can fit all of N. America, Hawaii and Puerto Rico in the single unit... I think.

How often will you actually use the GPS? If it's part of your job and used all the time, I may be totally wrong in my suggestion. If it's a plaything, vacation tool, motorcycling fun-thing, take-me-home device, etc. then it will work just fine.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

Thanks for the Advice Joe, but (hint UK Spec), US maps are as useful as a chocolate fireguard to me. The problem is that my wife gets lost at the end of the street and can't navigate round my home city at all. In fact, she can get lost on routes she knows. ;)

Still how does the Nissan OEM kit compare to an aftermarket dashboard mounted unit?

Reply to
Oso

Whoopsie... That's what I get for scanning the post rather than actually READING it. Sorry.

I don't know for sure, but I'd think UK maps were available for the 2610...

Then she needs a navigator... A human one. :)

Sorry. No experience with the OEM unit at all. Someone will hopefully come along and see this growing thread and answer appropriately.

Reply to
Joe

OK, I'm the opposite to Joe - I have used a OEM kit in a Primera '03 SVE, but I've never used a Tom Tom. From what I know about TomToms and the like though, the Xanavi is in a different league. Its a superb piece of kit. Its got a massive (by comparison) screen, and loads of built in features like quick find items on its database, avoid areas, route previews and simulations, multiple waypoints. Check out the spec before you decide. The only downside for me is you can't easily update it like you can with some of the portable units, you have to buy a new DVD and that's expensive.

Regards, SW

Reply to
S W