Sentra Timing Chain Replacement

When should the timing chain be replaced on a 1995 Sentra? Expensive job. Car has 82,000 miles. There's a leak near the timing chain cover and I'm told the timing chain needs replacing. How the heck can the timing chain be the cause of the leak?

Reply to
powertrain

In message , powertrain writes

Most Nissan engines I've come across follow the same pattern, but are just different in dimensions. I've looked up the petrol engine for an N16 Almera, and it says replace chain if warn or cracked, which would imply there is no interval but use until just before failure. The book also points out that noise is normally caused by an incorrectly adjusted timing chain tensioner.

Reply to
Clive

I've never run into this, but I heard that the tensioner can fail/loosen up, chain hits cover until a hole develops, oil starts to leak... (I would think this would be pretty noisy...)

Gary k

Reply to
gary

Probably the cover sealing surface is leaking (oil pump o-rings) and when you have the cover off, you're 90% of the way to replacing the chain as well. It would be foolish not to as some of these chains fail at just over

100K.
Reply to
Steve

Hi All,

I've got a 1996 Sentra. I'm hear>

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Take off the valve cover and look for a loose lower chain or broken guides.

Reply to
Steve