Service engine, was check engine post.

Sorry, took my husband's word about the light. "Are you sure it's the check engine and not the service engine soon light?" Yeah, it's the check engine, he says.

Well, it's the service engine soon. The vehicle is a 98 Frontier, 5 spd.

56k miles. What needs tending at that marker? How do I turn off the light when I'm done?

Thanks. Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, buy an OBD2 (on board diagnostics tool) I have an Innova 3100 ($150.00 - $200.00) Works great! All you do is plug it into the vehicle's test connector located just under the driver's side dash (in most vehicles). Turn the ignition to on (do not start the car)Press the Link button, wait a few secs. Up comes an alpha numeric code on the screen. You look the code up in the OBD2 manual or go to

to find out what the code definition is. It's probably a bad O2 sensor. Thats the only thing that's ever shown up on my '98 Pathfinder. Find out what your local garage charges to do a diagnostic test. The cost is about half of what an OBD2 code reader costs in my neck of the woods. Consider getting one. It pays for itself in no time. Once the problem is fixed, you use the Innova to turn the light off. Very easy to do! Changing an O2 sensor is easy too if that is the problem.

Good Luck!!!

Reply to
PathfinderHero

I agree completely. I bought mine a couple of years ago from this place:

I think I got mine for $130.00. Looks like it went down some.

Reply to
Truckdude

You could also go to Autozone or another place like that, and they'll pull the code for ya for free!

Bhuvan