Signal problem with 96 pathfinder (please help)

I have a 96 pathfinder with almost 80k on it. In the past couple of days I have had an odd problem. The problem is exactly this. In short I can't use my left blinker...

When the headlights are on. The left dashboard blinker light stays on solid. When I turn it on it blinks once and thats it.

When the headlights are off. The left blinker flashes both blinkers. Almost like hazard lights except the lower right front light does not blink. Also all the dash board lights including the radio dim and brighten.

I checked the bulbs and it doesn't appear any are burned out. Could this be a fuse problem or perhaps an alternator problem? Any help or even ideas on what to check would be of great help.

Many Thanks

Ted.

Reply to
Ted

JimV

On the battery ?

Reply to
Ted

Reply to
JimV

The first thing to do is go around the truck and remove all the turn signal bulbs the check to see if the symptom is still there.

if it is gone then install the bulbs one at a time and observe the results.

the reason the indicator on the dash is lighting is because a small amount of voltage is being fed back through the ground side of the circuit.

pay close attention to the bulb sockets, look for any with powdery stuff, that is corrosion... not good !!

I sounds to me like one side of the turn signal system has high resistance in the circuit

Reply to
NissTech

Nope, it's not the battery or an alt etc. It's got a bad ground, probably for the headlamps.

Reply to
Steve

Ok thanks for everyone help. I will return with results after this weekend! Thanks!

Reply to
Ted