Singing Brakes

My wife's 1992 Sentra (100K miles) just got new front brakes. The right front 'sings' when slows and stops. Apparently something is rubbing as the pitch goes from high to low with the speed of the car as it slows down. Also, the brake peddle feels a little spongy. I drove it and it doesn't seem to pull to the right and the hub cap didn't seem hot when I checked it.

Any advice on what's going on and the fix?

Thanks...

Reply to
orland

What kind of brake job did you have? Replaced pads/resurface rotors only or did it include preloaded calipers or caliper overhauls?

Reply to
: )

Reply to
orland

may be a dislodged anti-rattle clip making contact with the rotor. also, for that spongy feeling, air may still be in the brake system and needs to be bleed out. I'd suggest you take the car back to the shop that did the work and have them recheck their work.

Reply to
: )

if you did not use Nissan OEM brake pads , then that is where I would start

Reply to
NissTech

I had the brakes done about 6 years ago and didn't use Nissan OEM brake pads and didn't have the problem them, so, although I 'ver heard similar advice, I'm not sure it always applies. Also, the singing is only on the right-front brake not on the left. My wife reports today that it is starting to sing even when the brakes are not applied. I will take it back to the shop tomorrow...Thanks.

Reply to
orland

I had a friend with a similar problem. He took it back a couple times and the quickie-brake place couldn't find anything wrong. I checked them out and they saved $5 by not installing the pad shims.

Reply to
Monte

Uh those shim kits, at least the good ones are way more than $5! :-)

But yea lots of "quicky" places will throw away ALL the brake shims and clips etc when changing pads.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
orland