Spark plug wires popping off after tune up.

I just changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my 98 Fontier. Not dealer items. Purchased at local auto parts store. Used the Bosch plugs. Runs waaaay better now. Around town, no problems. My husband took the truck out of town, and he calls and says the spark plug wires are popping up and won't stay seated. The plugs came with a "sleeve" and I didn't really pay attention to them. I called the dealer and he said to always use the NGK plugs. I will probably replace them when the DH gets home, but in the meantime, I'm curious, what's the deal with the Bosch plugs? Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

John Smith

For today, if you used bosch platinums keep a tow truck's number handy! :-)

They are TRYING to help if you'll listen, most people seem to believe they know better than the people who made the vehicle about what parts to use.

Probably has something to do with the -CHEAPO- wire set, cap and rotor that was installed as well.

Reply to
Steve T

Hi, Steve. I didn't and don't ever buy the cheapest as a rule. Not Nissan parts, but not the bottom of the barrel at the parts store. I'm sure that lots of folks shop just for price, but not me. I did some more research today, and the different tip is taller, that could make a difference in reach of wire. Also, the counter guy said that sometimes the plug wires are packed with enough grease, that they make a "bubble" and won't seat all the way. I had read some decent reviews about the Bosch plugs, but after this experience, I'm done. Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I just installed NGK, I noticed a pleasant performace boost...

Reply to
doS

Why not? The quality is ALWAYS better and given what these vehicles cost, why use poor quality parts that don't work? People will pay $35,000 for a truck and then bitch about $100 for a set of good plug wires for it? I don't get it. I mean this is something that at most needs replacing every

5-10 years, there probably was nothing wrong with the ones you threw away..
Reply to
Steve T

Sleeve could be miss align and allowing connector to seat correctly on plug. Stick with NGK or ND plugs, thats what Nissan recommends. Plug wires, use OEM or NGK. Cap & Rotor use OEM Order parts from Mail order sites for discount prices. I've used Brown & Brown Nissan and Courtesy Nissan. Jim

Reply to
jjjsan

Just purchased new plugs from Nissan dealer. Hope that does the trick, will compare heights. Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton