Spark plugs: Platinum VS Non?

My '93 Sentra XE has been stalling a lot lately and I'm hoping for some improvement by changing the O2 sensor and plugs. And there's a rebate deal on a Bosch O2 sensor and Bosch Platinum plugs at the parts store.

The Sentra's O2 unit is labelled Bosch, so would it be okay to substitute Bosch plugs for NGK?Which plugs would you go with, platinum-tipped spark plugs or ordinary non-platinum ones i.e. Platinum2, Platinum+4 etc. ??

TIA, and I hope I can return the favor.

JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

Run away! The bosch O2 sensor is fine but NEVER use bosch platinum plugs in anything!

Use NGK only.

Reply to
Steve T

Just get cheap NGK coppers. They don't last as long as platinum but work best in Nissans and never cause problems, and should still be OK for 20 to 30000m. Bosch are OK new but soon go off.

Reply to
Steve B

I learned that the hard way when I put them in a 86 Lincoln Town Car.

Been using NGK since my motocross racing days back in the 70's. There isn't a better plug on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Here's one more "me too". Always go with the stock plugs in Nissans.

Reply to
- Bob -

rule number one

Do not substitute anything when it comes to ignition parts. Use NGK plugs , use OEM distributor caps. rotor and wires.

Aftermarket parts are not made to the same standard is OEM equipment

the same applies to O2 sensors, just because Bosch makes them it does not mean they are manufactured to the same standard and quality as the one the sell to Nissan as OEM equipment.

Reply to
NissTech

And many times the dealer ones aren't much (if any) more and have the right plug on them etc.

Reply to
Steve T

Great to get all your answers! I appreciate it.

Regarding Bosch plugs in a '93 Sentra:

SteveT said >

SteveB said >

Meat-->Plow said

Damn. Alright... I asked for the advice and will follow it. There's no rush getting the job done when it's 98º and there's no shade tree.

Is the dealership the only place to get a Nissan-boxed O2 sensor? The place I bought the car new is close by, but I'd rather avoid them. The next Nissan dealerships are 30 miles away, east & west.

Yesterday on a couple short runs the engine would NOT stay lit and I had to finesse the gas pedal at stops. I sure hope renewing the O2 sensor & plugs is the cure. There are a few other issues with this old Sentra, but I'll focus on this right now.

Thanks a lot!

JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

if you are willing to wait a few days the parts, there are several dealerships with online parts operations.

and
are good places to start.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I seriously doubt it will fix this problem.

Reply to
Steve T

Hi, Steve. Mind explaining why not and what would, pls?

Reply to
DemoDisk

Worn plugs would cause a misfire under load, not cause a stalling problem. I've never seen a dead O2 sensor fix a drivability problem other than a car not passing EMI or low MPG. Many cars actually seem to perform better with them not working! First place I'd go for a stalling problem is to clean the throttle housing.

Reply to
Steve T