Squeaky chirp in L front wheel

97 Nissan pickup 4x4, 2.4 liter. 47,000 miles I have developed a squeaky chirp in the left front wheel. Not very loud, but enough for me to hear when the driver's window is cracked open. It's not a chirp-chirp-chirp sound, but more like a squea-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-k. When starting out from a stop, it begins to squeak, and seems to be related to the speed of the wheel rotation. When the truck gets between 30 and 40 mph, the squeaking stops, and I will not hear it again at any speed above 40. But when slowing down, it will start to squeak when it gets around 20 mph and continue until the truck stops. Stepping on the brake when it is squeaking has no effect.
Reply to
willshak

One potential thing that comes to mind is perhaps an ever so slightly rubbing brake backing plate. That happened on my '95 Pathfinder, just about drove me crazy to find it too. :-) Although I'm not familiar with the '97's, take a look at the boots on the front shafts and make sure there's nothing wrapped around them. While you're there, spray some silicone spray on the boots. That was a cause of noise on some mid 90's Maxima's I remember. So we made it a standard to spray all CV boots with Nissan Silicone spray each time we did an oil change for a customer. If nothing else it kept them from prematurely rotting out.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Reply to
John Smith

On 12/22/2004 10:04 PM US(ET), John Smith took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

This doesn't sound like it is from anything that is supporting weight.

Reply to
willshak