SR20De Driveshaft Snappage

Anyone ever heard of a driveshaft literally snapping on an SR20De (the case of the e is very important) engined car?

I was pulling away yesterday in my 1994 Nissan Primera 2.0 Automatic, when there was a clunk like someone hit me from behind and I realised I had no power - Engine and gearbox both seem fine though.

I've then recently heard that the drive shaft going, is common on these cars! Quick google search on the internet reveals only my post to uk.rec.cars.maintenance of any significance to driveshaft breakage.

Here's some pics:

Does anyone know what that rubber thing is that Im holding there?

Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Jesus , look at all the rust.

The shaft lasted ten years , I'll be the roads get salted in the winter time where you live.

I would not complain, just get it fixed

that rubber thing is a vibration dampener

Reply to
NissTech

I forgot to mention the poor workmanship on the outer CV boot.

I hope you did not pay someone to replace the CV boot, anyone that uses tie wraps as CV boot clamps needs to find a different line of work

Reply to
NissTech

It rusted in two.. I suppose the rubber dampener held the salt from the roads and caused it to rust this badly.

Reply to
Steve T

I saw that too and laughed a bit. Also, it's easier and cost effective to just replace the entire shaft with an OEM.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

You're right about that.

I am too. But Im getting a second hand part, and Im feeling a bit sick in case its a heap of junk!

Thanks.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

I'll have to go through all my old receipts to try and find some work that was done. Why do I have that nasty feeling that my local Nissan dealer did this for me?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

This is the bit I get confused about. Entire shaft? You mean I can get half a shaft? Erm???

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Thanks for the eyes.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The whole thing from the transaxle to the hub. They usually come with a lifetime limited warranty. However the availability for the SR20 is something I don't know of.

Google up on "Nissan driveshafts" and you may be able to dig one up.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow