starter defect?

I have a 97 Nissan Sentra with 133.000 miles on it. Replaced the battery 2 month ago. Although whenever I would start the car the starter would go very slow, so like with a low battery. Yesterday the starter went so slow that the car wouldn't start anymore. Tried to jump start but the same. It's not the battery. Now the starter does not revolve anymore when I would try to start, just a clicking sound when I turn the key. That's it. So would it be most likely the starter which causes this problem, so I just replace it?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

Certainly check the connections at the battery and at the starter. Progressing corrosion could cause this problem. Take the clamps off and clean the crap out of them. remove and sandpaper the cable lugs at the starter and the ground terminal. But, the starter is a likely culprit.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike, thanks. The battery connections are good and tight. However I have a problem to locate the starter. It is not accessible from above. Do you think I could replace the starter myself? I don't have much experience with fixing cars, but know how to handle a wrench :-). I think that's all what you need to replace the starter, right?

I might need jacks to get under the car since the starter seems to be located somewhere near the oil filter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It's time, Replace the starter

Reply to
NissTech

I don't know off hand how hard the starter is to replace on your car. But, it should be pretty straightforward. Don't forget to remove the (-) battery terminal first. And use jack stands. Good luck!

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

Replacing the starter is easy as pie on the 5-speed manual but tough as hell on the automatic. It's located right under the intake manifold and has this bar blocking it. If your Sentra is an automatic you're best of having a mechanic do it.

CD

Reply to
Codifus