Starter problem - 94 Pathfinder

This started a few days ago: When I start the engine, it starts right up, but there is a grinding noise for a few seconds right after the engine turns over. I am NOT a mechanic, but it sounds like the starter motor is not disengaging immediately after the engine turns over. (no, I'm not holding the key in the Start position, but that what it sounds like!) It does this about 80% of the time.

Wild guess, but at 121,000 miles, it sounds like it's probably time for a new starter!

I have a Haynes Nissan Automotive Repair manual that a friend gave me a while back, and it makes replacing the starter LOOK easy. Would this be a good DIY project if I want to start saving some $$ and start doing some of this stuff myself? Like I said, I am not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined and am pretty good with tools.

Also, the manual has exploded views of the starter. Can the starter be cleaned out/repaired, or is it best to not go there.

Finally, if I let this go for a week or so before fixing it, will it do any damage? Car is a 94 Pathfinder XE 4x4 Automatic V6

Thanks - John

Reply to
jdr01930

It sounds like the gear on the starter is definitely worn, I just hope that the teeth on the flexplate (since it's an automatic) aren't equally as worn. If the flexplate teeth are, then it's time to drop the transmission or pull the engine to replace the flexplate.

The best thing to do would be enlist the aid of a helper and pull the starter and check (an inspection mirror and flashlight would be the best combo) the teeth on the flexplate while an assistant turns the engine over by the crank pulley bolt. If he/she goes slow, which is what you want to do so you can honestly judge each of the teeth, they shouldn't have too much trouble building up compression and keeping the engine from turning over. Check the entire circumference of the flexplate for any chips or heavy wear in groupings of teeth.

Now as for the starter bendix gear, that should be pretty obvious (and may even have metal shavings throughout the nose piece in severe cases). To remove it, disconnect your battery, the cable from the starter solenoid (which may/may not be easier once the starter is actually unbolted and try accessing it through the right front wheel well area with the tire removed) and the 2 bolts that hold the starter in place `should' go through from the transmission end. So you'll be better off if you have a LOOONG 3/8" extension bar for your ratchet.

The real trick on these is actually getting the starter out of its VERY close quarters. It's been SO long, but after recent discussions here in regards to this model Pathfinder (with the V6 and 4WD), the going trick is that you have to take the starter all the way forward of the engine, maybe twisting it somewhat one way or the other as you come forward to clear everything.

It sounds like this would make for a great first project for you. Just allow lots of time, because even for someone familiar with it, it takes patience to get that thing out.

A friendly word of caution. If indeed you do discover that the teeth on the starter gear are worn out, spend the extra money and get a genuine Nissan starter from your local dealer. This is one job you won't want to have to repeat for at LEAST another 120,000 miles. :-) It wouldn't hurt to ask the parts guys if they sell just the bendix gear from Nissan. It seems to stick in my mind that there was one model (it's been so long ago though) of Nissan for a certain year timeframe that they put out just the bendix gear assembly as a rebuild option for the customer. Again, that may/may not apply here. Don't get sticker shock on the starter either. You're paying for that quality and the peace of mind of not having to replace one of those lesser grade `lifetime warranty' starters every 20-30,000 miles. Who cares if it's free if you have to drop it out every 2 years or sooner? I'd rather pay for reliability. Anyhow...

If the gear teeth on the starter are worn, they will (if they haven't already) begin excessively wearing the teeth down on the flexplate. Then you really have a headache in either paying someone else to drop the trans or pull the engine to replace the flexplate or go through the headache of doing it yourself.

Another bit of advice though? If you see wear on the flexplate teeth, don't even bother putting a new starter on until you or someone else has replaced that flexplate as it will quickly ruin the new starter gear teeth.

Let us know what you find.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Thanks Wil! OUCH - that drop tranny/pull engine bit sounds rather ominous/expensive. I don't think I'd take that on myself!

Anyway, I'm suppose to get out of work early today, and have the next 4 days off, so I'm going try to take starter out this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Since I've never really seen the flexplate before, if it's condition is ambigous I might try to get creative w/ my digital camera and a mirror, and put some pictures of it on my website for evaluation. Hopefully you could take a look if it comes down to it. I'll keep you posted.

If it does come to replacing the flexplate, would I be better of having the dealer do it, or a local garage?

John

Reply to
jdr01930

Sure, just post the link to your site/the pictures. Get as sharp of an image as you can of any area on the flexplate you may be suspicious of. Maybe try to get several angles of view with good lighting, as best you can given the area. :-)

If the flexplate needs replacing, definitely use a genuine Nissan part but as for who installs it, excellent question. I'm partial, for many reasons, to tell you to have the dealer do it because their techs (if they've been around a while) will have experience in working on your specific model vehicle and to them the procedure will be second nature and they can fly right through it, they'll know what does and what doesn't have to happen to get in there. So in the end, that can save you money (and headache) that you might think you're saving over the independent garage. But if your independent shop has a former Nissan tech or you truly have built up a good working relationship, go for it.

A word to the wise though? If you have to have the flexplate replaced, go ahead and have the rear main seal replaced (also with a geuine Nissan part) while it's all exposed. Even if it's not seeping, just do it! And make sure (as reasonably that you can) that the shop uses a small dab of wheel bearing grease on the lip of the seal before they install it (some of the newer seals being sold already come with a grease on the lip and then the seal is bagged, which is sweet). It takes an additional 5 minutes average to properly remove that old seal and install the new one (it just pops out and taps in) once the flexplate is off and it's cheap insurance. Maybe $25-$30 for the seal itself.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Truck wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wil- I am following this thread and wanted to thank you for sharing such good info. Really appreciate it.

A related question- I think my rear main is leaking; I need to do have the shop do the UV test to verify (as recommended to me by this group- the oil leaks along the oil pan and bell housing). The estimate to replace the rear main is $800 from a local shop; around $1300 from Nissan. So I would advise replacing that seal if it will only cost you a few clams. My guess is they can tell me if my flex plate is damaged when they are going for the rear main?

Thanks!

Reply to
MM

Always glad to help. :-)

Yes, the UV test is an excellent idea. Also yes on flex plate question. They'll have it off to get to the seal so there won't be any additional labor to replace it if it needs to be. The only thing is that since it won't be a `stock item', you'll need to have them order it in advance since it may take a few days to come in.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol. Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes. Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick, then place the stuffing into a colander and cool; 2 hours Wrap the rolls: Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly - corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in, wrap till remaining corner is left. Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for a few minutes. Fry the rolls: 325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps. Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human, although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its

10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)

2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible) Olive oil Green onions Salt pepper cornstarch neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine) garlic parsley fresh cr
Reply to
jdr01930

Ended up getting a snow storm here - not ideal conditions to work on a car if you don't have a garage! Anyway, took the car to a good local shop. I said I'd prefer a genuine nissan starter, if they concurred the starter needed to be replaced (which they did). Flexplate was fine - sigh of relief!. Turned out the difference in price was only a few dollars for Nissan vs aftermarket (remanufactures for both). The dealer was snowed in so the shop said, if I can get down there and buy the part, they'll just charge labor. I offered to let them take their mark up on the part, but they actually refused! Charged me $70 to install the starter, problem is fixed. Cool!

Also, I asked them about the frame rot as they are an inspection station. They said It'll pass as is. Still gonna get the plates welded in.

Thanks for the recommendation on requesting Nissan part - ended up not costing any more!

Reply to
jdr01930

Excellent news on the starter cost!! And the shops integrity! Congratulations on all fronts. :-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck