starter switch

I have a 97 nissan pickup truck that is getting intermitted problems starting. I think it is in the starter key switch because it works well when I push the key in tight to the steering column but if the key (and switch) is not pushed in tight the starter fails to turn over. I was wondering if it is a pain to replace the starter switch (I assume it is, only from a security standpoint). Also if I decide not to replace the switch I thought I could just bypass the switch with a single pole momentary switch for the starter motor (leaving the key switch active). If this is possible any idea what current rating I will require for the switch? Thanks for any insite available. Larry

Reply to
Larry Colombo

on 7/22/2007 12:04 PM Larry Colombo said the following:

Speaking from experience with a 97 Nissan PU, it is a bitch just to get the plastic housing off the steering column without a lot of maneuvering. It may be easier if you have a tilt steering wheel. I don't. Don't forget to disconnect the car battery beforehand, else you may short something in the airbag wiring which would require the assistance of a qualified mechanic to replace the airbag, and perhaps the windshield, not to mention the possibility of emergency medical assistance. What you will see when you get the covers off:

I did not remove the covers to replace or repair the ignition switch, so I don't know how to do either.

Reply to
willshak

On the 2 sentras (92, 95) I have re-keyed, getting the steering wheel cover off was not bad, drilling out he bolts for the lock assembly was a pain. The actual switch itself just screwed into the end of the lock (new switch came with the new lock cylinder, I just reused the old one). It's possible yours is just loose.

Side note: On some cars I seen keys that were poorly copied (or a copy of a copy of a copy) that caused similar problems

The new lock cylinder had bolts that sheared their heads off as part of the installation (part of security, have to drill them out again the next time...)

Reply to
Gary