Test drove a 200 SE-R

I test drove a '95 200 SE-R a few days ago. I heard two noises I couldn't identify. One was when I turned the steering wheel, even just a little. It was a strange whooshing sound. Think of howling wind in a horror movie; it sounded just like that. The power steering fluid was mostly full.

The second noise was a consistent swishing sound emanating from the rear-right wheel when the car moved. It swished a little at low speeds, a bit louder at higher speeds.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Terrence Chan

Sounds like power steering pump, or maybe just the belt to the pump up front. In the rear, sounds like a bearing to me. In both cases, tell tale signs would be leaks -- power steering fluid is typically dark red, unless it's really dirty.

Reply to
ppointer

I have a sentra ser spec v and I have a similar sound on the steering, they always tell me at the dealer that its due to the fact that the wheels on the spec v are too wide for the cars frame. The second noise sounds like a wheel bearing!

Reply to
memememe

Thanks for your help. Ballpark $ figure on cost to replace?

Reply to
Terrence Chan

I just had an axle seal on an I30t replaced for about $200, which was about $175 in labor. Search the web for a wheel bearing for your car, and you could estimate the cost. Don't know exactly what's wrong, if anything, with the PS, so cannot help there.

Reply to
ppointer