The Nissan Model Difference? 240sx, 180sx, 200sx,

I know that there is a little bit of difference between the 240 and the 200. But i cant seem to find any english information on the 180 sx. The older 240's look like the 180's. Also what is the silvia.Is that also the 240? Can some one help me out and identify the major differences between these models. And would a skyline engine r34 gtr fit into the older 240/180sx?

Miles

Reply to
Miles

Leonard Edwards

Fit slim electric (or blow though?) fans to make room in engine bay, use r34 front subframe and motor mounts, need different gearbox bellhousing and packing on gearbox mount, custom dump pipe to clear steering box. It's supposed to give poor balance, the 4 pot KA/CA/SR motors sit well back with no2 cylinder on the front axle line and the RB engine will have no 4 on the front axle line.

Has anyone put a V6 in from a ZX300? The 200SX S12 had a V6 (USA only) and I can see no reason why it won't go in a S13.

Either way not much point in putting a 6 in unless you need more than

600bhp from a CA18DET (opened up to 2.0L Norris Designs in UK for £16K but they have to have the car to fit it) or 700bhp from a SR20DET. To go above 700/750bhp with a RB engine you have to buy a special 2.7 block, they make about 6 a year and last time I looked it was about £27K bare.

US 240SX came in S13 coupe and RS13 fastback variants (and convertible) with KA24E and KA24DE motors. The Silvia was JDM coupe with fixed lights and had CA18DE, CA18DET from 89-91, SR20DE and SR20DET motors 91-94. The 180SX was JDM fastback with pop up lamps and same engines as Silvia. The 200SX in the UK was a fastback with CA18DET. Australia didn't get any 13's. NZ and south africa did but I don't know names of models. Key differences are coupe or fastback body, engine, differential ratio, fixed or pop up lights. Almost a kit car to the point that later S14 and S15 front ends are also interchangeable.

To add more confusion the previous S12 fastback was the 180SX in Japan, 200SX in USA and Silvia in UK. The later S14 coupe was 240SX in USA, Silvia in Japan and 200SX in the UK and Australia.

Peter Hill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ok so let me get this right. they produce how much horsepower? 600bhp from a CA18DET? How much is that engine? And is the engine that comes with original 240sx good as well? I think its the KA24E and KA24DE motors correct? If i was going to get a 1989 Nissan 240SX would those motors be good. Im not lookin for anything fancy or spendy. I just like that car alot. I have an 80's 200sx and I am going to sell it soon. So the r34 will fit but 4 cylinders cant be over the front axle along with the KA/CA/SR motors will 2 cylinders on the front axil? So how much em I looking at if i was going to swap engines with an r34 or get that CA18DET? which is better in your view? And whats easier to swap?

Reply to
Miles

A few companies are currently doing R&D on the capabilities of the KA24DE. Compared to the CA and SR which are sleeved aluminum blocks, the KA is a cast iron block just like the VG30. Also you can't beat the displacement of this block. It's only 200cc less than a RB26. From a drag racers standpoint, it great, because of the weight savings.

I don't know where you live, but in the States, the KA was installed in all factory 240sx' and Pickups. Elsewhere you'll either find a CA18 or an SR20.

Even if you sell your 200SX, you'll still need a boatload of money to do an RB26 swap. An RB25 swap might save you a little, but still costly.

Good Luck!

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

ok jw thanks, how much is a CA18 or an SR20 then? i know that skyline engine is quite expensive it was only a dream. But are the ca18's better then the ka's? i live in oregon so if emissions are different here i am not sure of. so would a swap of a sr20 or ca18 be better then the ka? im just lookin for a good engine with out spending more then i need to. the rb25 is more then some cars these days, all help is appreciated, thanks

miles

Reply to
Miles

CA is cast steel and 20kg lighter than the sleeved alloy SR.

Depends on how much power you want. If you are OK with 225bhp then turbo the KA though this may be a bit big and will do better with a intercooler (10psi? 250bhp?) but not at that price.

200-500bhp SR 205bhp stock or CA 170bhp stock so the CA is not worth doing unless you do modify it. RB or VG for more - around 250bhp stock. SR is most popular swap in USA, so of the import motors has best support and availability. With a VG you can get an engine that has past emissions, you can walk into a Nissan dealer and get parts just like you could for the 300ZX but this swap is rare so not a lot of people can help. Someone was even taking about cutting up their trans tunnel to weld in a 300ZX one but they were also going to weld the front X-member in too. Best to look at what Nissan did to get the N/A 3.0 in the '88 200SX V6 S12 - get sub frame and motor mounts for that and a N/A VG30 should drop straight in so the turbo block should go in the same way, may have to leave the hugh T5 transmission out though and fit the FS5W71C gearbox.

Peter Hill

My bad, the CA is a cast iron block, but never made it to the States in a S13 or S14 body. trying to fit a VG30 into a Silvia is very rare and just as expensive as a RB swap.

Miles, your best bet is to swap an SR20DET Red Top into your 240SX. It can be done for about $5K. Half of that if you DIY.

Good Luck!

JW

displacement of

Reply to