"Throttle Service"

It probably consists of spraying some cleaner in the throttle body. Make sure they rotate the air in your tires at the same time.

Reply to
Willshak

Can someone please tell explain what a "Throttle Service" is? What does it entail and what will happen if I don't have one done? My dealer recommended one for $90 on a '05 Altima with 37K miles. I'm not having problems with the car, they just recommended it when I brought it in for my oil change. I don't recall having throttle services done on my prior vehicles (and I've had two other Nissans).

Reply to
arugulasrevenge

Reply to
Butch Davis

$90 is a ripoff for 10 mins of work, but it should be done periodically or the throttle may start to stick.

Reply to
JimV

mins of work, but it should be done periodically

Reply to
arugulasrevenge

It is not necessary to clean the throttle. This is hype BS. Forget about it.

How many times have you had a throttle stick? If you're like most of us the answer is "never". In the highly unlikely event that it should happen take it to your dealer.

BTW, is it a recommended maintenance service in your owener's manual? No, then don't do it.

Reply to
Butch Davis

Funny, I've fixed dozens of dirty, sticking throttles. It's not a big problem, but it can keep it from returning all the way to idle. 10 minutes with a can of throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush is all it takes.

Reply to
JimV

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll pass and save my $90.

Reply to
arugulasrevenge

The dealer price is a little high, but I would suggest having it done at least by 60K.

What I've always noticed when it needs done is the gas pedal (assuming it's not drive by wire) will be a little bit stiff when you first push to accelerate. Sometimes you will also notice the car not returning to the regular idle RPM's.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee once that would stick terribly if I didn't have it cleaned at least every 30K.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

If I ever had a sticking throttle body I'd have to wonder if the air cleaner element is properly installed and sealed. If I had to clean it every 30K miles or so I'd be looking for leaks in the intake system upstream of the throttle body.

An exception to my position is with aftermarket air cleaner systems that are owener cleanable/servicable. Typically these cleaners have a foam precleaner requireing "oiling" after washing the filter element. Most owners tend to "over oil" these systems thus causing oil to enter the intake system which can foul O2 sensors and possible necessitate throttle body cleaning.

Of course, YMMV.

Reply to
Butch Davis

It is a good service on some cars in some environments, Although Fords put "do not clean" decals on the tb; they are the ones that benefit the most from a cleaning (followed be jeeps ;) But to the OP, pass. The build up is caused by temp differences I believe (I'd have to go upstairs and get an ase book to validate that statement.)

Reply to
Stephen H

Stephen,

Your qualifications are clearly way above the norm so I wont doubt your words. However, I wonder why Nissan does not recommend TB cleaning as part of the periodic services.

Reply to
Butch Davis